Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself here 🙂

Welcome to the forums @Umeume ,

Thank you for sharing a little about yourself. I hear that things haven't been the easiest for you and you've found yourself in a place you don't really understand. Is that fair to say? Is this period of depression different from others?

After reading your post, I can certainly relate. I found myself in a similar place only a few years ago. It was a bit of a foggy road, but I guess I can say I made it?

I hope the same for you. Please know you are not alone.

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to have encountered this forum!

My journey through life has been shaped by my experiences with ADHD (late diagnosis), CPTSD, generalised anxiety disorder, and a bit of dyslexia and musical ear thrown into the mix.

One of my newfound strengths is understanding that the coping strategy of hyper-vigilance I grew up with can be a valuable tool in intuition, connection, and problem-solving.

Professionally, I have a background in engineering, cyber security, media, and performing arts, recently shifting into mental health.

It’s a mixed bag, but I’ve discovered a calling where my creativity, abstract thinking, and integrated lived experience are where I’m of most service to myself and the community.

I look forward to connecting with others on this forum, sharing insights, and guiding each other on our paths to wellness.

xx

@WellnessLens  Welcome to the forums!

It's great how you have highlighted your newfound strengths and abilities. This understanding is so valuable.

It would be great to continue connecting with you. I can see you are passionate about many things 🙂

Feel free to visit Wait what did I come into this thread for again? Oh yeah, ADHD! 

I hope you get the connection and support you deserve on the forums!

Hello and thank you for this forum. Things have been so hectic for the past bunch of years I haven’t had time to engage but now things have levelled somewhat. I am here to seek and share advice from a community of shared experience.

My father has severe level Alzheimers and is in full time care. I have a young family. Mum’s spine has fractured due to osteoarthritis and she needs a lot of support. My little brother has HIV & schizophrenia and is currently missing. 
I have a lot of responsibilities in relation to my loved ones. Today I feel unusually detached, like autopilot, which is kind of new. So I thought I’d explore a supportive community with people who have similar experiences. I’m trying to build in more exercise and having trouble with sleep. Truth be known, if I do everything I need to do for everyone else I would have to continue to ignore my own needs and then I won’t be much help to anyone. So I am trying to learn how to structure my life well to absorb the impacts of caring for four family members. 
I’m 50 now so I guess it’s a role people have lived? Sandwiched between young family and family of origin and the duties that come with this phase of life. 
I’ve lost an older brother and sister to cancer over the past 9 years as well, so that’s why it’s mostly up to me. And it’s unfamiliar, but I’ve had to step up and be the responsible one. I have two other brothers but they just live there own lives and occasionally ‘show up’ when it suits them… The family I want to model, is a family that is present for family members who have lost capacity. There are still so many beautiful moments to be cherished and I have grown and evolved in ways I never knew possible through this phase of life. It is challenging and I guess I feel like I am growing through it now, rather than living in crisis mode. Open to learning and sharing ideas and experience where possible. Thank you for having me : )

Hi

I am currently suffering from depression/anxiety caused by chronic insomnia. I have really bad brain fog which scares the hell out of me. I keep getting told it will pass but it doesn’t seem to be improving. I’d love to hear from people who have worked through it and find out how they handles it.

Wow @Harmonium ,

Thank you so much for opening up and sharing your story. I'm sorry things have been so rough for you lately. It sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders.

By connecting with this community, I hope you find the connection and belonging you deserve.

Your strength and resilience truly shone as I read your post.

Do your parents have supports in place to help them with practical needs? For example, do they have carers support them? It sounds like a lot to juggle on your own. I guess at some point, you find yourself either meeting the needs of your parents or your young family.

What are some things you enjoy which keep you going?

Meet @Shaz51 @Oaktree @Snowie @Zoe7 . There are many other members you can connect with.

We'd love to hear from you soon. See you around!

Hey @Stackman ,

I'm hearing you! That was me for a good part of my life. I can relate to the insomnia, depression, anxiety and brain fog. However, for me, I'm thinking the depression and anxiety caused the insomnia rather than the other way around. I had medication, sleep therapy, sleep hygiene classes... 

It's better now due to a mix of lifestyle changes, strict routine, sleep hygiene and medication. However, I'm really careful not to upset this balance as insomnia was close to unbearable. I'd be up for days on end... no wonder I had brain fog!

It took a good 10-15 years to get to where I am now.

Have you seen other doctors for a second opinion?

Hello @Harmonium , you have a lot on your plate 

Sending you lots of tender hugs,  sometimes I found it hard to find a balance in between everything 

We have a thread called Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope ) for you to click onto and have a look 

And if you just like to chat , we are here for you 😊

@tyme 

Hi I'm Mustang67 and have been suffering with depression on and off for 16 years. But in 2018, I had a series of events that basically tipped me over the edge. I have now been diagnosed with persistent major depressive disorder and Complex PTSD. 

I just constantly feel like I do the work, see my therapist and go to workshops to help me, but it doesn't seem to stick. I feel like I take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. But at least that still means I am moving forward.  Just very slowly.

I am looking forward to seeing what works for others, and knowing I am not alone in this fight. 

I took up the hobby of coin collecting in June last year, and really that has helped me. I have join some Facebook and Tik Tok coin collecting groups and have met some wonderful caring people.  Which has, I suppose put some belief that there are still good people in this world. But all the ones that have been helpful and supportive, all have their own issues they have gone through or are still going through. And I truly believe they are so kind and supportive, because they know what it feels like when that support system is not there.

I thought I would share one of my coins with you,  as I use it as a reminder that I too, can rise from the ashes a better version of myself. And it reminds me to not give up.

If you go to the link, it explains about the story of the Phoenix  

phoenix-1-oz-silver-coin-2-niue-2023_1080x.jpg

 

Hello @Mustang67 and welcome to the forums 👋

Thank you so much for sharing your story, and for the link to the Phoenix coin.  I believe many of us here can relate to the symbol of the Phoenix, and the description provided with the coin is a good one.  The image chosen to be inscribed on the coin is also very beautiful and majestic.  There is a sovereignty about the Phoenix that is so inspiring, something to look up to.

I am sorry to hear the difficult path you have been travelling, but assure you that you are amongst many other travellers of similar paths here, sometimes for very different reasons.  Perseverance and resilience are powerful tools though, and membership to the forums helps us recognise we are not in our struggles on our own.

if you need help negotiating the forums at all, please ask questions as you move about the threads.  There are many guides and helpers amongst us.

🌷 F&H

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance