Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Does the label 'Carers' make you feel uncomfortable // Tues 27 March, 7pm AEDT

Hi @Smc ! And thank you for sharing so much.
I couldn't help but noticing a similarity in your view around the implication of lost freedom as others here tonight, in particular @Determined

Re: Topic Tuesday // Does the label 'Carers' make you feel uncomfortable // Tues 27 March, 7pm AEDT

I think in terms of this forum carer works fine @NikNik

I am happy with term carer's forum, it reflects what is used in the mental health system and with Centrelink.

I prefer name carer to the other options tendered.

Thanks @NikNik

Thanks everyone.

I always learn something from Topic Tuesday discussions.

They're usually very worthwhile...

Adge

Well that's about it for tonight!

Thank you all so much for getting involved and sharing your experiences and opinions on this.

While you may all go by different terms, from what I have read here tonight, you all care very deeply about the people / person in your life.

I hope you all have a restful night.

ThankyouNT.jpg

Thanks @Adge !

Thanks @Former-Member for your thoughts on this.
I often wonder if people who are new to the MH system find it hard to find us or other 'carer' services because they aren't use to the jargon.
Interesting...

Absolutely.

The jargon is utterly confusing.

And the system is like a maze, to find your way through...

Adge

@NikNik, I've been on the other side of the fence too. I had some major neurosurgery years ago, and my Hubby had to be my carer while I recovered. I had always been the organiser, and suddenly my short term memory was so shot that I'd forget something from a minute earlier. I had reduced mobilty and co-ordination, significant fatigue, and all sorts of other neurological functions glitching.

It was very hard for me to accept help, made harder when official organisations weren't very accomodating. I didn't look "disabled", and sometimes because of that others expected more of me than I was able to handle. I remember days when I went home from a difficult situation in a really bad state of exhaustion that would take a day or two to recover from.

But as hard as it is to accept the need for care, "carer" is probably the most honest descriptor. @Mazarita mantioned the importance of sensitivity, and maybe part of that is allowing people to use terminology that they're more comfortable with, but for official purposes, "carer" probably gets the necessary response. Some of the more informal and comfortable terms might get dismissed as less relevant.

I am happy with term carer's forum --- me too @NikNik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance