Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Does the label 'Carers' make you feel uncomfortable // Tues 27 March, 7pm AEDT

What an interesting insight, being on both sides @Smc

I think it's important to acknowledge those we 'care' for would often do the same for us... and for some, as you shared, that does happen.
Thank you for reminding us of that.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Does the label 'Carers' make you feel uncomfortable // Tues 27 March, 7pm AEDT

hi everyone sorry i wasnt able to hang around for this tonight, having a rough time atm but am reading through to see whats been spoken about Heart 

thanks @NikNik for running this

There is grief in a diagnosis @NikNik and admitting that at times you cannot manage on your own would give a sense of a loss.

I think that patients who have an acceptance of a diagnosis and the understanding that outcomes are better if they have a supportive carer do not seem to mind the term.

In mental health a carer is someone with active involvement in the patients care. At one stage I was Mr D's wife but not his carer, now I am both.

Big hugs @outlander

Hi @NikNik and everyone else! Sorry I am so late to join in this conversation - have been at hospital all day with mum. I've just referred myself as mum's carer, not really thinking about it much. But first and foremost I am her daughter. It surprises me that when I am with mum at either doctors or at the hospital people will say how lucky mum is to have such a loving daughter to care for her. But for me it's just a natural thing to do - that is my mum. It does sadden me that there are so many people out there that don't have the support our loved ones do - and I find social workers and even the psychiatrist I liaised with today told me there are so many people out there, especially elderly people 😞

Something I need to work on though is this - friends or new people I meet will ask me if I work and I say 'no', I am a carer for my mum. But in reality that is my full time job. By saying I don't work I am invalidating what I am doing. Definitely something for me to work on.

I also like the term 'supporter' ... I think I may start using that.

Hope everyone is well x

In my situation, I feel like im the glue that is holding everything together for our Marriage and for our beautiful boys. Who god knows has been affected by this  illness.

He was once the 'Carer' of our family, the provider , the protector. But now I am constantly the  reassuring  a grown man throughout  his weekly  episodes.  

hello and hugs @Bella1978, @321 HeartHeart

Hey @Shaz51! How are you? X
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance