Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Mama_Bear
Casual Contributor

Diagnoses guilt and coping

Does anyone feel... guilty about their diagnoses? Guilt may not be the right word so I will try to explain.   Along with depression and anxiety and a stress disorder I have PTSD from being in a violent relationship a few years ago.  

I feel really... guilty about having been diagnosed with PTSD.   I don't feel like its traumatic enough compared to someone who has been to war.  I tell people (close friends/family) about the depression etc.  but only my current (not violent) partner knows about the ptsd.  I don't feel like i should seek further treatment because it isn't as traumatic as situations other people have been in.  I hope that makes some sense I am a bit scatter-brained at the moment. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Diagnoses guilt and coping

Hi @Mama_Bear. I  also have PTSD. There are other Hells on this earth apart from war.  Your pain is no less significant than that soldier who was trained to go and fight. I come from an army family. My Son is in the army,my brother lost a leg while in the army and one Grandfather was a POW to the Japs and the other Grandfather was a Rat of Tobruk. Only one of my relatives suffered PTSD. It was called shellshock back then. I have PTSD but did not go to war. Trauma causes PTSD it comes in many forms. Rape, abuse of many kinds, car accidents, shark attack victims and yes, domestic violence. Your story and the pain that comes with it is real and just as significant as any other person.

Yep, I get how you feel. I have multiple diagnoses including PTSD (from childhood abuse) which makes me feel guilty and BPD which makes me feel embarrassed. I try not to mention it to people outside the mental health field. I don't think it's right but I can't help the way I feel. You should definitely seek treatment for your PTSD - your experience is as valid as anyone's and you deserve help, support and happiness! Thanks for sharing.

@Mama_Bear. I find it best not to compare my mental health journey with others. Our backgrounds are different,  our traumas vary,  but our diagnosis is real.  No more or no less than anyone else's. 

I haven't been to war,  but I developed ptsd as well as Depression and Anxiety.  It is painful. As is yours and others  

Don't judge yourself against others.  Love yourself.  Self care and professional care. 

@Mama_Bear

I can understand why you think that as we are a fortunate nation.

Smiley Happy

But all the other replies have really important points.

Smiley Happy

In my case, family on one side had very traumatic war experiences, but over time, and in a new country, it allowed them to bond and grow stronger, however, they then understimated real trauma in peace time ... here ... 

@Bat_Girl @Calmblueocean @utopia

We are all coming to terms with our emotional, family and cultural realities which can come with or without diagnoses.

Smiley HappyHeartWoman Happy

@Mama_Bear  I was told by

my councillor at the start of the year that he believed I had PTSD, although I have never been officially diagnosed.

He believes this because of trauma I endured during childhood (sexual abuse over 5 years, begginning age 8, by several offenders).  Add to that, losing my 9yo son in a car accident 12 years ago, and the begginning of the breakdown of my marriage last year.  

My father died unexpectedly in July last year, the night he died I had an argument with my husband, that’s when my marriage started to fall apart, and the first signs of PTSD began to show.  

Its nothing to feel guilty about, it’s our brains way of protecting us.  If you have ever suffered trauma, of any kind, your brain will try to protect you.  Comparing your trauma to someone else’s is highly unfair on yourself, you’ve suffered, you’re just as worthy as the next person to be protected.

I’m so happy for you that you are no longer in a violent relationship, and I hope the new person in your life makes you happy, as you deserve.  ❤️❤️

Thanks @Razzle

It is so great that you have a safe and supportive environment to be able to share your story with you forum friends.

Sylvester 

SANE Moderator

Each to his own. I've never been to war either,nor have many others,who also suffer with PTSD,it seems to go hand in glove with certain types of mental illnesses. Don't let it bother you,it can act as a good personal protection, just accept it and move on. Dwelling on things needlessly drags you down.

Thank you everyone for replying and for your wise words. I'm really happy I have found this forum it has definitely helped.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance