Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Any diagnosed germophobes or hoarders on this forum?

@Dimity wrote:

Tomorrow I meet a potential new helper and I feel ashamed. Wish me luck.

@Dimity  I've only just seen this - how did it go? Did the potential new helper come to your house? I'm sorry I wasn't there to wish you luck, but I hope it went well...I'll be interested to hear...

Yes, I agree home is about connection and belonging. Do you think it will be possible some day to have all your belongings in one place?

Today is sunny which is great, so I am trying to tidy up a bit. The kitchen is the worst - I can barely reach the sink for stuff on the floor. After today there will be 6 gloomy weather days 😞

Thinking of you and sending good wishes... 💚

Hello @NatureLover the new person came for coffee and it went wel thanks. So we'll move forward. That's why I need to think about what I'd like to achieve. I've been thinking til now of "what next" rather than of outcomes.iit would be nice to find safe harbour. 

Yes the sun is nice but the nights are cold. I hope the gloomy weather coming up won't drag you down too much. It would be good if you could get to the stove and the sink. It's important to me to have a functioning kitchen. Tonight's chicken hotpot was very nice - I eat chicken about once a week. Tomorrow will be tofu again.

I think I'll try to reorganise a corner of the livingroom, and clear the coffee table. That will be my goal for the next couple of days

Take care @NatureLover

Well @NatureLover I achieved my goal yesterday, largely through moving stuff, although I also managed to get a box to the opp shop. Later I bought a red cyclamen to cheer my front porch. 

I hope you're OK. It's so cold and dark and wet. Are you able to use your light box at all, even for short periods?

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

@Dimity wrote:

Hello @NatureLover the new person came for coffee and it went wel thanks. So we'll move forward.

This is great @Dimity ! So they weren't judgemental about your house, obviously...will they come on Thursdays like your previous helper? So pleased for you 🙂

Yes, the nights are cold and I'm wearing a beanie and woollen gloves in bed. Is your house warm?

I'm going to work on the kitchen this weekend...I don't have any outings to distract me. No, no therapy light box, and my hands are still very itchy with the new-old soap that was fine before 😞 I'm OK though, thanks...just flat, but not in a bad depression where I have to stay in bed thankfully.

@Dimity wrote:

I think I'll try to reorganise a corner of the livingroom, and clear the coffee table. That will be my goal for the next couple of days

Well done! Plus a box to the Opp Shop! 👋

Thanks for your good wishes ❤️ Same back to you 💚

Yes, I get feeling flat @NatureLover . And the itchy hands must be a nuisance, especially when they prevent you using your light box.

I've been feeling a bit cold because I still haven't quite worked out how best to use my new reverse cycle a/c. It's on a low setting and even then I don't like using it too much, but it turns itself on sometimes overnight even when the remote control is set to off. I found my gas space heater quite expensive last year, and of course prices have gone up considerably. 

I'm waiting on the care agency re the changeover of helpers. I already know it can't be Thursdays.

I tackled a box today but it will need more work. I can't use my reading nook yet, the lamp isn't working. I'm hoping it's just the globe needs replacing. Hope you had some success with your kitchen. 

Hi @Dimity , that's odd about your reverse cycle a/c...

Will it be OK that your new helper can't come on Thursdays?

I didn't achieve much yesterday apart from lots of laundry, so today's the day...plus I need to rake leaves today in between the showers. I've rubbed the skin raw on my hands (moderator - due to itchiness, not self harm) so it's even more itchy now! 

I reckon you must come online really late at night, as yours is the first post I always see in my "New" notifications (which is nice). 

I hope when you replace the globe that your lamp works.

@NatureLover my light now works but isn't as bright. I inserted an LED, it used to be halogen..

It's a worry about your hands.  If it were me I'd investigate a fragrance free soap substitute from the chemist and be wary of the woollen gloves until they heal. Do you wash up by hand?

I usually dip into the forums during the day but like to reply to you when I can look back on the day, knowing you'll be reading early in the morning.

On the tidying front I've been diligent. I'm between mental health plans as well as support workers and it will be 6 weeks until my next pdoc appt which takes me to the end of the financial year. And I'm really feeling the pressure. So I've decided to try to tackle a box a day (or its equivalent).   

A box a day! Wow! That's fantastic @Dimity 

Is your lamp bright enough for you to read under?

Yes, I wash up by hand, but not very often...usually I just rinse with a bit of dishwashing liquid under the tap and re-use the plates or mugs or whatever. This is so the washing up doesn't pile up. The thing about the soap is that I want it to be cruelty-free, so my choices are limited. I also prefer a soap bar to the liquid. But you've given me an idea - I could google cruelty-free and fragrance-free soap...

It's getting harder to dry the washing, isn't it! I've got 2 airers in the house and stuff sits on them for days in winter. I prefer to do at least one laundry wash a day due to my germophobia. I know that's a lot, for single person. I do have a dryer thankfully, but only use it for towels and sheets and the cloth grocery bags, as I'm scared of shrinking my clothes. Maybe I should carefully try drying a few clothes in there. 

I thought you could see your pdoc earlier than 6 weeks, if you were paying for it yourself? 

Good luck with doing your box today... 🙂

I'm lucky, my pdoc bulkbills and I'm guided by him how often we meet. It's mostly been every 7 or 8 weeks for years @NatureLover .

The light doesn't seem very bright but I haven't left it on, maybe it takes a minute or two to warm up.

I used to buy qv liquid for dad which is cruelty free. I just googled and they also do a bar. 

I mostly hang the washing on the line outside then pop it in the dryer at the low setting to finish it off. I do that with everything except wool. Towels can go on high. 

You're very lucky to have your volunteer role, to be getting out and doing something worthwhile and connecting with other people. I admire that, especially with your challenges. 

@Dimity wrote:

I'm lucky, my pdoc bulkbills and I'm guided by him how often we meet. It's mostly been every 7 or 8 weeks for years @NatureLover .

Oh good 🙂

@Dimity wrote:

I used to buy qv liquid for dad which is cruelty free. I just googled and they also do a bar. 

Thanks for this tip, will follow it up @Dimity  👍 And the washing tip. 

Yes, I feel fortunate to have my volunteer job. It gives structure to my week and makes me feel useful. 

How did you go with your box yesterday? 

I'm planing to tackle the kitchen again today...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance