Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Diabetes and mental health

Thanks @tyme 

Hello @tyme @Shaz51 I had a blood test today to check my progress. I've already achieved the nominal weight loss target but have a long way to go on waist measurement. My gp has given me a referral to a dietician for extra help.

I've been reading ahead on the Life! program and having started on diet and walking I think the next step is resistance training. I'm not sure how to do that unless I go to a gym. 

I think my meds reduction has helped the weight loss but I'm noticing more anxiety.

Good luck with your bloods next week @Shaz51 I hope the results come through soon.

Hello @Dimity 

Mr shaz has diabetes now because of his medication,  he is cutting back but is experiencing more anxiety 

Soo doing another blood test tomorrow and the gp is arranging a dietician for him next week 

For me the gp is putting me on another diabetes medication to help control mine 

Sorry to hear of Mr shaz's diabetes @Shaz51 . I hope the dietician can help.  I see mine for the first time next week, but I've already been following guidelines for a couple of months. I'm not sure what the answer is re anxiety. For me I think I might have to tackle some issues head on, and learn coping strategies for the rest. A bit like the old serenity prayer. You and mr shaz are probably in the same boat,  there are some worries you can't do much about. 

Fingers crossed your new diabetes med helps and doesn't exacerbate your CKD. 

I should get my test results in a few days.

Hello @Shaz51 @tyme well the Diaberes Victoria Life! intervention seems to be working. I've lost weight and shed centimetres from my waist and my bloods are now in the (barely) normal range. I still have a way to go and have to ramp up the exercise. I'm a bit nervous about floorwork and resistance training but will see how I go. 

I'd recommend the Life! program to anyone in Victoria... it's free, and really helpful. 

Wow! You are a poster child @Dimity ! That's incredible! I'm so glad it has made a difference for you. And, yes, it IS free and funded by Department of Health!

I am yet to have my last meeting with the dietician.

I am so happy to hear 🙂

Thank you for letting me know 🙂 And remember, at anytime, you can contact the dietician assigned to you.

tyme

Yes @tyme the dietician invited me to email her with any questions but I have a lot more reading to do first. 

Congratulations if you've nearly completed the program, I hope you've found it helpful too.

This program is great because it is about giving you an understanding to make lifestyle changes @Dimity .

I have a bit to answer for lol. My eating habits haven't been the best since returning to onsite work. During COVID, i had routine, schedule and planning... now, it's all out the window. So your post has been an inspiration for me to know it's not too late.

One thing though, I have started resistance/strengths-training twice a week.... i know this working because I've got sore muscles and glutes!!!!

tyme

Maybe no pain no gain @tyme ? 

I hope you can persevere with the diet guidelines . But I do remember the challenges when time-poor and stressed by work - planning and scheduling healthy eating isn't always easy.

@tyme , @Dimity 

We had a doctors appointment today and we are going to go together to see a diabetes educator 

For the whole week we have not had any pasta or rice 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance