Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome to the Friends, Family and Carers Forum! Introduce yourself here πŸ™‚

@tyme thank you for your response and support, I shared with my mum today when symptoms are overwhelming I don't want to be here...

Re: Welcome to the Friends, Family and Carers Forum! Introduce yourself here πŸ™‚

@MedicinalGypsy oh totally fair you want to protect your husband from potential collateral damage hun. 

Oh I totally know the feeling - I can have a hundred amazing coping tools but when we're outside our window of tolerance it can seem like it's all gone! I know it may not help you right now, but writing out a list or having a 'coping plan' of some sort can be handy - so you don't have to do the work of trying to think of or remember anything in the moment! 

I am going to be logging off soon, but I will tag the next @moderator and hopefully they can stop by and check in with you. 

Remember your breath too - it's very basic, yes, and I know it's also very tiring to hear it all the time, but for me it is my very first tool for regulation. Our inhale speeds up our heart rate and our exhale slows it down, so by making our exhale much longer than our inhale for a minute or so, it actually works to slow our heart rate - which can help us to feel calmer, and signal to our brain that we're not in danger. In for four counts, hold for five, out for eight - that's my fav breath tool to slow me right down from panic, rage, and overwhelm. 

Calling a support line is also always an option! 

Lifeline:β€―13 11 14 orβ€―Crisis Chat 

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 orβ€―online counselling 

Samaritans: 135 247 

If in immediate danger: 000 

Night hun, catch you next time, please be gentle with yourself - you will get through this, I believe in you πŸ’œ

πŸŒˆπŸ™ thank you for your support

Hi. I am seeking understanding and any advice from others who are carers. I am a carer for my 21 year old daughter. We have been home before, and we now face homelessness again. We don’t have the income needed to pay the high rents, even if they were available. I feel such a failure. I can’t keep her safe.

Have you been able to reach out to local housing agencies, eg Salvation Army, etc? @IluvRosie 

I'm sorry to hear this is so tough for you at the moment.

Everyone deserves to have a roof over their head and feel safe.

Hi, I guess I'm looking to connect with those who care for a spouse with OCD. I'd like  to hear how others deal with  the day to day situations that keep arising, from  changing meds to understandjng & handling obsessions & compulsions

I want to as helpful as possible but it's so draining. 

We've been together for a very long time but only had a diagnosis in the last year. 

Thank you 

Welcome to the forums @Bluewren57 

Thanks for sharing. There are certainly others who can relate to what you are sharing. I hope you find the support and connection on the forums that you are looking for. 

I hear how exhausting things must be for you.

Please take time to look after yourself. 

Tagging others @Shaz51 @NatureLover 

Hello @Bluewren57 and welcome 

It can be very exhausting and I have found looking after myself is very important to be able to   look after others 

I have learnt not to remove or move things so my husband has his routine 

Anxiety and changes makes his ocd worse 

And to except and to expect him to fix anything that I have done 

Please ask me anything 

Thank you so much.

Thank you.
It is exhausting.
At the moment I'm just trying to understand it all.

Having the diagnosis has certainly helped me understand many situations we've had over the years that had me bewildered.

A lot of things are now starting to make sense.

I did learn a long-time ago, not to move things.

Unfortunately, he's a hoarder so I've been trying to deal with that as well.
I've now learnt it's part of his OCD.

Thanks for listening.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance