Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself here 🙂

Hi everyone. I hope everybody is coping well today. I’m brand-new to SANE and to this forum. Certainly, no stranger to mental health struggles though! it’s really hard to encapsulate anyone’s experience in a welcome chat, but I’ll try and express what’s going on with me in hopefully not too long an explanation. 

i’m nearing 40. I come from what I would call a cult like family with a malignant narcissist father Who took the wheel for Way too many years. Everyone of my close members of my family, In my mind, are gone forever. Others have become narcissists and others disassociate from reality entirely. The only person that has to not just acknowledge it, but work on it and feel it and deal with it, and not have it acknowledged by anybody else.. is me. I’ve cut my father off entirely now. Even in my heart, I do have an eventual Killswitch and it took 38 years with him but he’s dead to me. I only just realised today I spent so many years on that that I’ve got mum to deal with now and that seems really overwhelming because she’s a victim but she’s also extremely dismissive of me and my experience because that would mean she would have to face it and her part in enabling… And she  enabled a bit too bloody well!

I’ve had drug addiction issues for years, since I was 15 years old, self-medicating with my trauma. I got introduced to drugs by a 30-year-old man, who began shooting me up with them, and my folks let me move in with this person!?? Where were they?

I wasted years of my life, working in the family business, and for nothing, just to be thrown out to the side when a male came back, because of course my father is an absolute misogynistic woman hater… in a venomous way. He wonders why I’m such a feminist and angry all the time. Amazing insight. 🤦‍♀️

I used to be full blown codependent, but now I can definitely be alone, but I still have anxious attachment issues. I did narcissist, and even a psychopath was just horrible people until I finally learnt to be attracted to nice people. But unfortunately I’m still attracting avoidants.

My latest relationship blew up recently, and I’m once again having to start over and the thing is… I’m in eternal optimist. I’ve always believed in myself, I’ve always believed that I could get well, but I’m starting to notice things in my body now and The body does keep the score. It doesn’t matter how much I intellectually understand these things, I’ve now hit a wall and I need to physically get them out of my body.

Being the forgotten child, and a people pleaser… not only is there, not even much history medically about me, like I’m walking around carrying the most insane stories and experiences in my body and I feel like I’m just doing it alone so often . I have been extremely high functioning and professional for years whilst being a drug addict, and dealing with- sometimes absolutely no emotional regulation whatsoever. I internalised it.

I had a dog for 15 years, and he absolutely saved my life. he is my greatest teacher so far. He’s the only soul that taught me that I am worthy of love, simply just for being… it was the greatest gift. He passed away a couple of years ago 💔

I thought after he passed that I would not make the same mistakes again because, he lives in me now… so how can I not love myself? I can’t do his memory a disservice like that. 

But I then did make the same mistakes. Not as intensely or for as long…but still the same bloody mistakes! Unfortunately what I have really come to learn is that it doesn’t matter what I know, my nervous system is still throwing me into fight mode, which is always my trigger mode. I recognise all the signs at the beginning, but then once I let a couple of boundary slip, again, I fall right down the Rabbit hole of losing myself and all self esteem.. and then my relationships fail. I feel worthless again, and I start using drugs to cope.  

One thing I’ve decided is that I’m going to be absolutely alone for a minimum of two years and I just want to focus on myself because I just really want to get to the next stage but I’m just hitting a wall now. I’m hoping to find out how to get past it here on sane. I always have no issues with helping other people. I could do that all day every day, but when it comes to getting help for myself, I minimise every time. I need a push, because I just can’t keep doing this alone.

i’m really sad today because I only just realised that I worked so many years on the Dad trauma and stopping that, that I kind of completely missed my mother healing and she has an insane personal thing happening right now, and I just can’t emotionally hold her any more. I just don’t have the capacity.

But I think I’ve been so mean to her 😔 I’ve been so angry at her for just not thinking about us… but I think I need to stop being mean to her in order to be nice to myself, I don’t know. I’m just really sad. Feeling lonely.

I am an eternal optimist, but damn… It’s still so easy for me to get it so wrong, again? Now I need to again stop self-medicating, start fresh alone, and hopefully level up again.

CPTSD, no doubt a substance abuse disorder, a mood disorder, anxiety so high that it actually fuels me in a way that allows me to be extremely productive, but I’m pretty sure all that’s very stressful on my body.

so I’ll keep on going what else can I do… But I’m just so tired, you know? I’m so so tired 😔

If you were able to actually pay attention for all of that, thank you. You are a saint.

Hey @SomethingElsie, thank you for joining the Forums and sharing your experiences with the community!

It sounds like you have been through a tough time and are strong and resilient. It is unfortunate that family don't always support us in the way we would expect or need. And setting up boundaries is important to protect ourselves. It takes courage to do what we need and if that is creating distance then the brave thing to do is what you have with yours.

Self-medicating can be challenging to deal with as it is not always the best option and particularly long term. Being able to identify that you are misusing substances is a really amazing place to be in your recovery. Sometimes we need to reach out for a little extra help, I encourage you to contact Adis QLD Homepage | ADIS (health.qld.gov.au).

The Forums are a great place to reach out to your peers and I will pop a link to a post that describes other threads you can connect: Looking for a space to connect with others? Find a... - SANE Forums

Thanks again for being part of the community here on the Forums!

Take care

RiverSeal 

Hi there @SomethingElsie . Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story. That takes courage so well done!I’m a Community Guide here who has a lived experience of mental illness, including anxiety at times, so I can relate to how they feels.I hope you’ll find the forums a safe and friendly place where you can link in to find help, support and advice. 

Take care.

Judi9877☺️

Hi @SomethingElsie ,

It was so lovely to read your story especially about your dog being the greatest teacher.

I hear how, despite the MH struggles, the power of pets can make a huge difference.

I hope you find support on the forums. Many, if not all, of us have a lived experience of mental health. By connecting with others, we can really foster hope and encourage each other to press on, as hard as it may be.

All the best. I look forward to seeing you around!

Hi I'm kl78. I have diagnosed bipolar 1, GAD, ADHD, autism. I am a carer of my adult daughter who has the same mh diagnoses as me plus a couple more and MS, and my grandson who is autistic. 

I struggle with executive function all of the time. My house generally looks like a bomb hit it and I'm very disorganised generally. 

I joined to get some sort of support with looking for mental health professionals and general support from people who live with similar issues. 

Hey @kl78 !

Welcome to the forums! I'm hearing you! You are certainly not alone. 

We have many awesome members who can relate to what you are sharing...

Pssttt***I can relate to my house looking like a bomb went off!

We are so glad to have you with us!

You may want to have a read here Wait what did I come into this thread for again? Oh yeah, ADHD! 

Good afternoon everyone

I just joined the carers forum ad I am struggling with my 26 year old daughter who has a personality disorder following trauma from frequent operations and hospitalisation. Prior to 6 years ago she was travelling well studying and working part time but she began changing after a number of things. Her father remarried and has a new family and rarely sees her and she has abandonment issues which means she is very controlling of me. I’m exhausted and want to know if anyone can recommend a great psychologist who works with abandonment issues and personality disorders in the southern suburbs of Melbourne. I’m feeling burnt out and would love to talk to other carers.

Hi @Tracca,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm really sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your daughter. It sounds like a very difficult situation, and it's understandable that you're feeling burnt out. It's great that you're reaching out for support—connecting with other carers can be incredibly helpful.

Navigating services can be difficult. I recommend looking at Head to Health's website at https://www.headtohealth.gov.au/ or giving them a call at 1800 595 212.

Take care of yourself, and remember that it's important to look after your own well-being too. This community is here for you, and many of us understand what you're going through.

Hey all..

New here 👋 

But not new to mh issues sadly they have plagued me my whole life..  or at least from arrange the age 12yo up to now in my mid-40s..

Suffered with addiction & depression... multiple hospital admissions.

Anyway here to get support as can be very isolating feeling the way I do and I do take a lot of burdens on alone. I'm not good at being open usually.. prefer to suffer in silence.

To keep myself well I need to try and be more open & share what I'm going through.. Ty for listening 💖

I am a transplanted American who moved to Australia last November to escape a very violent marriage. I live with the diagnosis of complex trauma survivor, depression and anxiety. All these were greatly impacted by my marriage and the impending divorce. I don't have counseling benefits with the health insurance I have here in Australia, which has been difficult for me. Hopefully this forum will helpful in that respect

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance