Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Cinzia
New Contributor

Medication or Therapy?

I have been on SSRI medication since 1992 following extreme trauma. Six months ago, I was weaned off my medication as I had developed side effects of brain fog and hand tremors. Subsequently I learned that this particular medication is unsuitable as it can increase/cause dementia in elderly people. 
On top of this, I’ve had long covid for 12 months and the extreme fatigue is incredibly hard to deal with as very few people believe it is real, including my GP. Even worse, PTSD symptoms have returned with a vengeance and I’m at my wits end and struggling to put on a ‘happy face’ whilst screaming inside. Recently my emotions have burst out and I have taken it out on loved ones who don’t deserve to bear the brunt of my anger and frustration.

Please help me. I don’t know what to do. At age 79 is it worth having counselling or should I just go back on meds for what remains of my life? I’m so confused and in pain I don’t know what to do.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Medication or Therapy?

@Cinzia You have lived through a lot, to have been on meds so long and dealing with side effects.  My understanding is that therapy always helps... by definition... and it is the combination of talking and being heard, and finding patterns of being or new ways of coping that is more healing than meds.  The counsellor or therapist or shrink is only human, but if you take from it what YOU NEED it helps. 

Shaking hands are an issue.  I hope it eventually settles.

I have seen these side effects most of my life in people I love and it is most distressing. So it is not an easy decision. Tardive Dyskinesia is a visual sign that reminds us of the suffering person within.  Personally I have accepted medication but these days at very low doses.  Just to take the edge off the intensity of my traumas, but still feel the real me as a person.  Cos then I also get to feel the joy and limit the range of side effects which are complex. I have not had Tardive Dyskinesia myself, but first saw it when I was 10. (over 50 years ago).

I hope you find someone you can talk to and helps you.  Sometimes its hard talking to young people but sometimes they can offer insight. I have both a counsellor and psychiatrist who offer different things.  The shrink does not only push pills.  He now normalises my experiences cos I had too many diagnoses tossed around in my family.

Seasons Greetings and

Take care

Hey @Cinzia,

Welcome to the Forums and thank you for sharing about your MH experience with the community!

Dealing with the side effects of medications can be tough and we have to make choices about side effects and doses which can be challenging. It's always best to be guided by your psychiatrist as they know about the interactions of medications. It is a personal choice thought to take medications and you can decide whether you do or not. I will always take medications as my MH is in a good place and I have gained so much I wouldn't want to lose that all again. We make our choices for our reason though and yours might be different from others.

I believe it's worth having counselling at your age or any age for that matter. We all deserve to be living our best lives and it's never too late to grow and develop. I encourage you to follow that up and work with someone to support you and your MH. Have you heard of SANE's Guided Service? It's a program with a Counsellor or Peer Support Worker and you have 1:1 support sessions and peer support groups with other participants in the program. There is also the Support Line where you can speak with a Counsellor Monday to Friday from 10 am to 8 pm. It's all free so perhaps it's a good place to start your journey!

Here are some great places to connect with others on the Forums too: Looking for a space to connect with others? Find a... - SANE Forums

Take care

RiverSeal

It's definitely worth talking to your doctor about what other options are out there for the older population if you suffer from PTSD.  Both therapy and medication might be the right combination.  I would talk to your doctor about having a Mental Health Care Plan written up where you can have up to 10 subsidised psychology sessions per year [Medicare pay some and you pay a gap fee].  After 6 of the 10 sessions, you have to go back to your GP again for the last 4 sessions to be approved and released for use.  Your GP may even know of a more suitable medication or refer you to a psychiatrist who will work with any needs you have.  I wish you luck! xo Rose.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance