Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Olyvia
New Contributor

Getting started

Hello, my name is Olyvia. I have suffered from depression, since I was a teenager, but it only surfaced as a real problem after the birth of my second son, nearly 40 years ago. Initially I had a psychiatrist who did not subscribe to formal diagnoses but identified me as having troubling experiences since I was a young child, leaving me poorly prepared to manage life in positive ways. I became way more than 'troubled', moving into deep, totally debilitating depression; was then diagnosed by another psychiatrist with Major Depression and started on anti-depressants. With the publication in the 1990s of DSM IV, like many people, I was re-categorized with the diagnosis of Bipolar Type II. With this, came terrible suffering for me, based on ignorance about bipolar, as I was falsely 'identified' by a daughter-in-law as being "an unacceptable risk to my grandchildren" due to my bipolar condition; and formally prevented from ever having contact with my two grandchildren. In fact, none of my family or friends sought to understand bipolar and I have been seen as a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad person. The one time, i sought help to educate my family about the bipolar condition, was when I was a scheduled patient at Sutherland Hospital, through a programme, "Working with Families". That backfired at me, I was not allowed to attend the two meetings, where the Hospital Psych Social Workers - who had never met me - supported my family, in seeing me as the cause for the high level of conflict in my family. I was used as a 'Scapegoat" - 'Gaslighting' me. My GP recently urged me to join a bipolar support group to help me learn from others, about day-to-day life experiences and struggling to cope with my ‘bipolar’ states, which can make life very difficult for me; and aware that I am different from others, causing me to feel very isolated, feeling very guilty and very rejected. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Getting started

Hello @Olyvia. I don't know how to respond other than to say that other people's ignorance is inexcusable. I'm a gaslighted, scapegoat too and your situation resonates strongly with me. I hope someone will be able to offer the support you need. I can only send these few words and my best wishes.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance