Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

jemima11
New Contributor

Emotional abuse

Hi, I haven't really used one of these platforms before but I am a big believer in helping others which is why I am here today to talk about my experience with an emotionally abusive stepfather in hopes to raise awareness and help give those who are struggling a voice and show them that they are not alone because I felt so alone but now I'm finally in a place where I am ready to talk about my situation. 

When I was 2 my mum met my stepdad who became a massive part of my life and has been in my life ever since, my mum and him got married when I was about 8-9 and with that came his 2 twin daughters who are 18 months older than me and we have an incredible bond. My stepfather and I had a pretty strong relationship when I was younger. he was the dad I never had and made me feel so included in his family, until I was about 12 that all changed. at the beginning it was just him invading my privacy and not really listening to me. until it wasn't, I vividly remember the first time he erupted at me, We were in the car and we had just arrived home and there was a pizza box that had to be carried inside as well as some other bags that I was taking inside, as we were getting out of the car he asked me to take the pizza inside and I replied and told him I was already taking bags inside and didn't see him carrying anything and wondered if he could take it as my hands were full. He started yelling telling me I was useless and that I should be able to carry it and he made me feel like I wasn't enough my mum stepped in as my little sister was beyond herself and I needed to calm down, that night was the hardest night of my life, it caused me to develop depression and anxiety and from then on I was very distant but tried to be useful to him as I am a major people pleaser, from that night it began to get worse and worse to a point where I lost my self worth and had no idea who I was and what made me, me. After years of keeping it to myself I finally spoke up as I knew enough was enough it was happening to my little sister and I couldn't let that happen. so I went to my school nurse and told her all the times where it looked like he was going to hit me and all the times he verbally abused me and she looked me in the eye and told me that he was emotionally abusing me and so I looked it up and for once it all made sense and I stopped blaming myself for his anger. it was the first time in my life it all made sense and it wasn't me because I was doing everything in my power to make him happy but It was never ever good enough. So If you are going through this please know you are not alone at all and there is so much you can do to help yourself. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Emotional abuse

Hi @jemima11 

Thank you for sharing your journey with us here at Sane.

I hope you have got the help you needed and are in a good headspace.

Whilst my journey is a lot different, I think that supporting others is life long.

Even if you make a difference in one persons life it is worth it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance