Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // When caring for parents // Tues 24 Sep, 7pm AEST

Bit of a chill one this eve but I will move along to the next question anyhow 🙂

It’s easy to feel alone at times, even though mental health challenges are very common, society still lacks a bit of dialogue around caring for parents with mental health issues.

What are some practical steps to feeling less alone when caring for a parent?

i dont have friends caring for a dad with bipolar but i do have one friend who has a mum with parkinsons. even though it is different somewhat i find it comforting to know there are others out there figuring it all out too

Hey @Former-Member  I am sorry both yourself and your friend are managing your loved one's pain like this but so beautiful that you have found some connection and one-ness along the journey.

Hi @nashy  I have found society doesn’t have a dialogue.  Most people who have found out that I have moved in with my mother because she has dementia either say “you’re very brave,

I couldn’t do that”. Or they’ll say it would be easier to put her in a home.  Yeah it probably would be, but she’s a human being that gave a lot to me growing up an I feel like it’s my turn to give back

Not much support offered by people not in the same or similar situation.

Hey @Razzle  yes I find the "I couldn't do that" somehow a little bit painful? I am sure the intent is good, but I am with you I find that one quite unhelpful. Sometimes we just want someone to say "I hear you. How can I show up for you?". What would help you further in your situation with your Mum? Heart 

Yes, exactly @nashy .  It’s almost a dismissal - it’s like they want to end the topic before it begins.

Wow @Razzle  yeah that is really true actually. I suppose for them, maybe it's a safety thing. Maybe they don't feel comfortable or qualified to be there? I definitely think as humans we forget we don't need the answers when someone else is in pain, we just need to show that we are there Heart That we are listening. I want you to know we all hear you @Razzle And our community is always backing you and all of the support you give your Mother. 

What are some practical steps to feeling less alone when caring for a parent?

none now only me @nashy 

mum had a transition team when she broke her hip but that was in february -- nothing now

Hey all Heart @Razzle @Former-Member @Former-Member @Sally @Shaz51 It seems tonight is a busy night for everyone as we don't have too many people online for this event (totally fine, it happens!). We're going to wrap it up here, but I will leave the thread open until tomorrow for further chats in case anyone logs in later this evening.

@Razzle Thank you so much for your insight and for sharing this story with your Mother, really appreciated, you're not alone with it Heart

Thank you heaps @Former-Member As well! Chat tomorrow all 🙂 

hello @Razzle @Nong1990 @Darcy @Sally , @Determined

@Determined , @outlander 

here for you anytime to chat 24 / 7 everyday Heart

thank you @nashy Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance