Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Talk about Homeless

@NatureLover I wad able to stay on my centrelink whilst I was unable to find a house. I got myself a PO box so had a fixed mail address. It helped me be able to stay in backpackers and what not. 

I lost a lot of my savings in that time however. 

I don't regret it though. I was homeless in Tasmania where I used to live anyway. I moved to Perth with nothing but a suitcase and hoped for the best. 3 years on it has been the best thing for my life. If you told me 3 years ago if be where I am now I wouldn't have believed you. 

I'm not saying I'm peachy now but I'm looking forward for the first time in my life. 

Its been 12 years since I first encountered homelessness and without the support I have now I probably would still be in and out of living arrangements. I thank my current supports for not seeing a problem when then encountered me, but someone who just needed some help. So many people dismissed me because 'I was doing this to myself' and I was 'beyond help and support' and 'too much of a risk'. 

Being a risk to myself should have been a good reason to help me instead it meant I couldn't access help or housing programs and pretty much no one was willing to give me a chance. 

I'm so glad someone gave you a chance and that now you're able to look forward, @The-red-centaur  🙂

I agree, the fact you were at risk means you needed the help even more. 

Hi @NatureLover 

Thankyou for asking. I'm not homeless however in my past ---- homeless for 2 years. 

There are community centres in Perth - I only know of one in Perth in Fremantle called St Pat's Community Centre where you can use their address ---- 

But thankyou for asking 

Good work @The-red-centaur 

Keep working on it and utilising stability.

I'm applying for yet another flat. That's effort number seven now, in seven months, and 3 motels.

On Friday I got a call from state government housing. If I soon enough get one of they're flats that might put an end to my war over housing. Wouldn't be before time though.

I might finally be able to retire, relax and put my feet up and enjoy life. It would to relieve the pressure from my new SWs. After many years I could enjoy the serenity of a tranquil and secure environment.

I might fully recover after having the time to address my MH.

@Stout 

Wow good news!!!!!!!

Please keep us updated.

@Stout  Sensational news❣️ Very HAPPY for you 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 GREAT achievement‼️

G

Howdy @Glisten and @OM108 

I have no idea where this housing crisis is heading. The department didn't say much, simply enquiring. One thing I have learnt is that the list is said to be two years wait, and out to eight years.

The stress of it plays on my MH, and is what is causing me be up and about so early. On top of gall still left in me from the flat conspiracy. It took its toll I can tell you.

In the area where I am and around Christmas and for months after there were about a dozen rough sleepers that I knew of. There was rumoured to be more. And some couch surfers. I think I'm some urban quarters it was wholly expected I would join the ranks. That this led to public bitterness, is likely.

In an area where there is little social mobility and transience is deposed for territorial purposes, there is little the LGA has done for decades to alleviate the social housing squeeze. Now obviated by national crisis, I wonder really what the government can or now will do to help the lower classes. I think there should be medical vetting for some new builds. Whilst other sites should be built and populated as per the usual method. That way public policing won't get mischievous wires and industrial methods mixed in with peaceable persons.

It's a public policy issue.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance