Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

one
Casual Contributor

Stigma and being public about your diagnoses

I am a teacher and have been advised by the Education Department not to write blogs, (with my name included) or create informative video clips about having bipolar disorder. Has anyone had a similar experience and is it legal or fair? I feel it contributes to creating more stigma around mental illness..

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Stigma and being public about your diagnoses

Hi one

this made me angry, I wouldn't think it was legal, I doubt it. If you can share or blog about it, it's a great resource and the education departments attitude is ancient and contributing to the stigma around mental illness. They should be getting u to talk to students about it rather than hiding it like a dirty secret. Argh 

I was advised by my company not to say who I worked for. This is a organisation heavily committed to NDIS. I often wonder if that don’t want a person with a disability working for them how can they offer non judgemental support to their clients. 

Yes. I have offered quite a few times to speak to my students (high school) about it and have a mental health professional be a part of the forum. They have declined every time I’ve suggested it.

It seems contradictory. Being asked to hide the fact that you have a mental illness makes it feel more shameful.

I like making short films , I teach Media Production, and I want to create my own YouTube channel on bipolar (lived experience reflections and advice).
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance