Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

IndiDog
Casual Contributor

Anxiety help, picking at skin, not leaving the house

Hey guys, it's my first time here, just looking to reach out and maybe get some decent practical advice!

I'm having real issues with both depression and anxiety lately - and getting out of the house (or bed) has been really hard. For me this means I've been 'getting ready' by compulsively picking at my skin for hours every day... 😞 As you can imagine this doesn't make me look or feel any better. Yesterday I cut the top of my ear several times coz I really REALLY wanted to get a lump out...

Yeah, I don't get anything done, I'm not leaving the house, and I have three gorgeous foster dogs I'm not working with as much as I should be. On top of this I've recently managed to alienate a lot of my friends, including the person I still see as the love of my life but doesn't reciprocate these feelings - my own little fantasy bubble I'd been planning my future around ...POP! (STUPID!!) And all I want to do is drink.... 😞

I would just go out and party every night (making AAAALLL of the bad decisions) but I look freaking hideous so I've just been getting secret drunk at home, pretending I have the flu....

Sorry, I meant just to ask if anyone has any advice about how to work around anxious/compulsive behaviours and get shit done still...?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Anxiety help, picking at skin, not leaving the house

Talk to me talk to me talk to me!! 🙂

Re: Anxiety help, picking at skin, not leaving the house

Hello @IndiDog

I get really anxious and pick away at self, but still get stuff done.  If you dont have habits in place, then start deciding what you would like in your home, or in your life and start making plans, lists whatever.  I see it as a lot of energy not directed.  When you begin to direct that energy to YOUR best well thought out goals. You will feel better.  

Ah hah ... but its hard.  Gotta start somewhere

Smiley Happy

Do you work, study  have a mental health plan ??

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance