Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Peer Group Chat // Labels & Language // Thursday 6th April 2023, 7-8:30PM AEDT

@TideisTurning   hey there.   and thankyou.   I have to say that the education difference, between us 

means its a big stretch for  me,  this debate.   So  where I landed is.  Science,  the black and white

stuff.  And   Then philosophy for want of a better category.   And your Ideas of adapting to a changing flow

of ideas and words,  so that people feel accepted and are not hurt.   Well That is logical I would think

I'll go out on a limb,  and say its also,  proven science.. win,   win... But  Imagine how hard it is for someone with my

disabilities to keep abreast in rapidly changing currents.  All I have is a smile or laugh,  and well wish

intentions.  but these days we need so much  more.. 

In my Little world "the farm"  its live n let live.  LgbtQ,    cant remember the rest of the letters  are my

best workers as are the overseas crew.  They are happy.  I make sure of it.

Where I'm moving too,   a small coastal town.  Well lets just say they could use a tutorial from you.

The science I don't still understand though is humans blindness to cause and effect.  Will we always

be at war,  and what is the  real truth ,  to this competition.

We used to disagree and still be friends.   Now when people disagree,  media and internet and politics

plus big business,  rally us into polarized enemies.   But then  humans are running the show,

So please explain to me,  the instincts and drivers,  that lie at the heart of this.

I know you are busy,   but I'm in the bush and your crew are pretty darn smart,  so it is a serious,

help me out here,    question.. when you have time one day.

Wishing you all a sunshiny day.           tonys  m b 1

Re: Peer Group Chat // Labels & Language // Thursday 6th April 2023, 7-8:30PM AEDT

Hey @tonys

It can definitely be hard to keep up with changes in language! For myself what I like to do is ask a lot of questions- sometimes these questions can seem a little bit silly to others, but I would much rather ask 100 silly questions then assume one single thing! Similarly, I try and stay open and welcome feedback about instances when I may have used the wrong language, learn and do better next time. It does change though, like I said, and it can be really different among individuals as well. My point here being that language is definitely not easy! What counts, and to my mind, what matters most, is trying. That doesn’t mean you’ll always get it right, but it means you’re making an effort. That matters, and that itself can make a difference.

That is a really awesome and insightful question you’ve posed there too, alongside a rather astute observation about how people nowadays can sometimes attack when views or understandings are different, instead of seeking to learn more about and/or remaining open to these differences. As for why that sort of attacking happens, I'm afraid this is something I don't have a definite answer to. Like you, it's something I wonder about and for me, whatever the why is, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why attack someone simply because they're different or have a different idea, opinion or view? A simple difference does not hurt anybody. Having said that, my theory at this stage is that the attacking might stem from fear- of the unknown, of change- there's a whole heap of possibilities of what the fear might be about, or it could feel threatening or confronting if the difference means change to what someone's always known. My thinking though, to borrow from something I've heard, is that when enough minds are changed, or open to new understandings and learnings, it can slowly change the world. That's something that I hope for- a change in the world so that it's one which is more inclusive and accepting and where people are open to considering perspectives different from their own. Because yes, it can be scary and confronting to learn about and have your eyes opened to something new, but what might be the impact of simply considering or trying to understand? In my experience, it can be profound, life-changing, even life-saving. 

Thanks again, as always for your really considered questions and considered and well-articulated thoughts @tonys. I am so glad there are people like you in the world 😊

Hello   @TideisTurning    That is such a nice thing you said,  and thankyou..   and I do agree,   we forget to ask questions before leaping to judgements.   We're all in a hurry to get our own little goals 

achieved,  we tend to forget to ask if  our goals are at the expense of someone else.  I think it is the education we get in our homes and schools that "point" the community moral compass.  The leaders we choose are the protégé of a higher thinking. 

It takes effort and education to shape human thinking beyond our primal instincts,  made all the harder   by diminishing resources.  

You are very lucky I think Tideis Turning.   I suspect Like me,  you crave diversity and change.

I'm just hoping if you're not already a teacher,  fate takes you in that direction.  Getting thoughtful

people into key positions of influence.  That's our best chance.

Here is a question though.  Will thoughtful  people win out over those willing to abandon morality  and procure and use the most advanced weapons.   Answers to that question will come without warning

and never at a time of our choosing. 

OR  is this thinking,   the fear your speak of.   Instil fear into a population,  and you control them. . . .

Since meeting you, i have a bald spot on the side of my head,  from head scratching.

Thankyou.  @TideisTurning .    Very best wishes,    tonys  moonbase  1

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance