Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Owlunar
Senior Contributor

Australia Day 2018

Australia day thongs.jpg

People are more open about their opinions now and this is a good thing and so let's be ocka with the thongs and the Aussie Flag to walk on and be proud to be whatever kind of Australian we are

I am a British Australian - Dad being English and my mother's ancestors being from Northern Ireland - so I am glad to see the Red, White and Blue today

Have a good one - don't forget the aerogard, careful walking under gum trees cause koalas have a damp way of expressing their emotions, don't feed the kangeroos bread and enjoy whatever sport you support

In other words - Have a Good Australia Day

Dec

aussie flag.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Australia Day 2018

I am irish-scotish-anglo Australian by ancestry, though a number of generations born in Australia now. I think a date change might help reconciliation for all of us. Here's to a more inclusive Australia Day for all.

flag

Former-Member
Not applicable

Happy Australia Day @Mazarita and @Owlunar. It was interesting to learn of your bloodlines. Mine is German-Irish-Australian. I had an enjoyable day with family and friends over a BBQ, drinks and lots of laughs. Had a great time celebrating this wonderful country of ours that I am so grateful to be living in. Hope you all had a relaxing day 

Hi @Owlunar, @Former-Member, just wanted to acknowledge that I know Dec has strong connections to the aboriginal community, through her relationship with her son. I just really wanted to post the aboriginal flag because I think it's beautiful and meaningful to be seen on Australia Day. I do think we should change the date for reconciliation. But I also feel so very fortunate to be living in the beautiful land and country that is Australia.

Former-Member
Not applicable

The flag is very beautiful and meaningful @Mazarita. I never knew you had strong connections @Owlunar - that is very special. I love aboriginal artwork and their special connection and respect of the land something I share.

I feel I must apologise to you @Owlunar for not acknowledging your deep connection in my first post. 

@Former-Member, I too feel I have learned much from my contact with aboriginal culture, especially a deeper and more respectful attitude to the earth.

I have so much to learn. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

To be honest @Mazarita - I believe our first people had the right idea of the way to live. They had little disease, a deep spiritual connection and little conflict compared to ours today. No power struggles or corruption over money. I always feel better when in nature and could imagine the benefits of living the way they did they was taken from them. I often ponder on this and am learning too xxx

@Former-Member thank you for your words. I too often ponder what has been lost and stolen and have a deep sense that there is great injustice. I too feel better for being in nature. I was born in the country, this country, and I miss living closer to the land. At the same time I have been heavily conditioned in urban life over most of my life. I kind of live on a cusp here, in a big regional city, very close to the vast ocean. Place has a special significance to me. Heart

@Mazaritaand @Former-Member

Thanks for your thoughts and including my adopted aboriginal son in this thread - he does indeed belong here

I thought of him a lot when I saw so much about colonisation on TV yesterday - and I thought a lot about the how we came to be here and what we took from the First Australians - the "Sorry" thing and still

Every one in this country is descended from somewhere - here or elsewhere - we all have the right to be here - many migrants have come here because the were disposed elsewhere

And multi-culturalism is something that makes Australia unique - the country is a works-in-progress as are its peoples

I wish and pray for assimilation - and hope we can remain unique at the same time

Dec

Hi @Owlunar, @Former-Member, hope this day is treating you both well.

I agree that what seems needed now in Australia is reconciliation and acceptance between all of us, wherever we are from. Aside from the aboriginal people, we are all, in a way, 'boat people' in one way or another, in our origins. Love is what is needed, it seems to me. Thankfully we find it plentiful here on the forum. Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance