Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Husband smokes

@ClockFace, the more of your posts I read the more I realize that smoking is not the major issue in your life at the moment. Sorry I was so outspoken. I think many of us are dealing with too much. Hoping something will improve for us all soon.

@Historylover 

All good. I do use it to escape even if its for 5 minutes. Its definately something I want to give up, not right now I couldnt even imagine. 

I think for a lot of people its a cover for something deeper, its a crutch and just pushing  the stop smoking mantra makes people who smoke feel attacked, like your attacking the thing they are using smoking for as a crutch. 

For me its stress/anxiety. I dont know how to deal with them well or at all and that 5 min is my break. If I gave it up, what would I have to cope with stress/anxiety and that scares me. I can see that being an issue for many people.

Hi @Historylover 

That's right - you are studying - what are you about at the moment. I am always interested in people continuing their education. I graduated with honours when I was 50. My major was English Literature - my minor sequence was General and Comparative Literature. This gave me a huge base of world and history writing - and I love history.

This Transcutaneous Radio Frequency Pulsed Therapy is pretty new. No one knows why it works but it does and who complains when something works? I think I know the machine you dad might have had as my mother had one too - it was a hand-held vibrator she used on sore joints and her feet - I never liked the feel of it vibrating - any more than I liked having TENS. They both seemed to make the pain or discomfort worse for me. I am a bit reluctant to try new things - enough pain will make me try something non-invasive. I had Platelet-Rich-Plasma injections in my shoulder - they seemed to help - still - I can think of better ways to spend an afternoon - I've had ablations too - so this TFRPT is the best so far. Long may it last!!

I'm one of the older generation - I will be 80 in a few months. I'm not planning anything - it is just another birthday. I actually don't know anyone my age or older - I just feel much younger most of the time - first thing in the morning I feel my age but that wears off. 

And about no older people being in positions of authority. I am still proactive when something seems wrong to me - still - I have notice older people can be pushed out of the way by younger people wanting their place and we can be invisible. I pick my battles unless someone is rude and then I speak up. I am more circumspect with age - I won't be ignored either.

I most likely won't go on the Chase though I do like Larry Emdur - Andrew O'Keefe had the ability to make me grab the remote control and turn the TV off. I know a lot of trivia and could do well - still there are large areas like sport and modern music and theatre about which I know very little. My ex and I played Trivial Pursuit and I still have the whole set intact. However - the truth is I don't want to stand there and freeze - though I have been on TV a few times - and didn't.

We are in for wet week in Melbourne - that's the forecast - things change.

All the best

Owlunar

I'm studying Psychology and Sociology, @Owlunar. The new semester starts next week but we are able to access the course material this morning. I won't finish the degree but had intended to go as far as I could. I've been involved with it for over a year now and it has been very enjoyable. Having to apply myself has been rewarding and a considerable challenge. 

You could be right about that hand-held instrument, but I thought it was a pulsed input which, as I said, could be dialed up or down. My nephew said they do the same thing to race horses and, as we discussed it, I got the impression that it must have confused the nerve input. Who knows? Anyway, I'm glad you may have found something that might work in pain alleviation.

Andrew O'Keefe seemed to be a man under enormous stress, who hosted in the belief that his job was at risk. I felt very uncomfortable watching him. It's an enormously public position and nothing is private. That must have an enormous effect on emotions and behaviour. I couldn't go on any quiz show because I may not only freeze, but information flees my brain when I am under pressure and takes a while to retrieve. I'm getting better...I think.

I'd love a rainy week. It sounds so lovely to be safe and warm indoors, while my few plants get a much-needed bathing. Here's hoping it's a good week ahead.

Hi @Historylover 

Psychology and sociology sound really interesting - I did a module of psychology in my 4th year and I really enjoyed it. It was to do with the psychology of literature - I would like to pick that up again. I would encourage you to go as far as you are able - everything we learn is a good thing. My years at university were among my best - and I believe I am still enjoying myself.

I read a lot - sometimes the same novels over and over - always seeing something more. Some early C20th male authors were misogynistic - the men do the interesting stuff - the woman are often faceless and sometimes evil - that's pretty generalistic - because I keep on reading the novels of this time - I could be interested to reading more than Google about what readers really think of these novels -- that would be interesting.

You never know - I might go to Sydney and try to go on The Chase - I can snap put the answers most of the time - still it would be different in the studio. I know Andrew O'Keefe had problems and was in legal trouble for a long time - he managed to rub me up the wrong way though - sometimes people do that and mostly they are on TV - actually - I have been coping with the shoulder a bit better - hopefully it will last - it would be interesting - and what did I do that was worth mentioning? Yes!! I sang with the buskers at Circular Quay. That is not something I might have done in Melbourne - but interstate - okay - and they asked me to because I was singing as I walked past. That was a moment I will remember for the rest of my life.

It has been raining off and on here in Melbourne - this evening I went outside to get the mail and the air smelled fresh and sweet - it was dusk and it was just plain lovely - a bit of rain after a dry spell is refreshing.

I used to have a little taste of fortified wine on bleak afternoons in winter - of course with my medication this is something I can't do. I had a bottle in my cupboard for ages - I thought I had better tip it out - it was probably okay - it was even more fermented - I am not a wowser - I would enjoy a little taste on cold rainy days - but no.

It's really about time I got ready for bed - time passes so fast when I get to write here - I really enjoy myself.

All the best HistoryLover

Owlunar

Another day dawns, and time to reply to my mail before I start my daily routine.

I'm enjoying my studies (mostly) very much, although the teachers certainly have an array of personalities and different teaching styles. To be honest, they can do my head in, so I try not to engage. I concern myself mostly with reading and my assignments. It's worked well to date, and unless they present teachers I can click with, I'll keep it up. Too many concern themselves more with their own portrayal of being 'a good teacher' rather than simply imparting to their students their own passion for, and knowledge of, their subject. 

The little rain yesterday was refreshing and there is a 50% chance of precipitation today. I hope it happens.

I'm not a wowser either, @Owlunar, and still don't know if I would imbibe to be social. I don't like the way it is used in Australia—everywhere and for every occasion—and raucous behaviour so often accompanies it. 

Well, I have the day ahead and so do you. Here's hoping it's a good one for all.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance