Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: EMDR for trauma

Heart

Hi @Queenie  wondering if you're still doing EMDR and how it's going for you?  I've done a few weekly sessions with it now and can say a few things about how it is for me.  We're not actually using the eye movements but I hold little units in my hands that pulse alternately for 1/2 a minute or so while I focus on aspects of what happened to me when I went through DV.  I think we are working up to doing it with eyes.  So far I've had a couple of realisations that I hadn't seen previously that shift some of my thinking on the whole episode.  Why I was still in the relationship when the worst explosion happened,  how my childhood modeling by parents' behaviour contributed to me being in the relationship at all, but mostly it's been recovering more detailed memories of the worst assault and that whole episode of my life, but in a safe place.  And my psychologist established a 'safe place' for me to return to at the end of each session as well as using a couple of visualisations any time it all comes up between sessions - locking everything up in a shipping container (my choice of image) and being under a purple waterfall washing it all away.

This is only one of multiple traumas that happened at other times in my life so it seems like it'll be quite a long road, but it feels right to be doing it.  I've been seeing her for over a year before we started the EMDR (which I was originally referred to her for last year) and she knows me really well now and has a pretty comprehensive time line of events in my life.  I''m 55 and traumatic events started in my childhood.

Thanks to everyone who's written on this thread @utopia @strong @Appleblossom @CheerBear (thanks for the tag) and @Jupiter (thanks for the links). 
I've been meaning to drop in here for weeks but I guess I wasn't ready to talk about it yet.

So pleased to hear it's going well for you @eth

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance