Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

STORMGRL101
Senior Contributor

ECT ??

Hi does anyone have experience with ect here and can share their experience? My team is looking into this option for my treatment resistant depression and I just wonder what it's like and how long you stay in hospital
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
MaryMahem
Senior Contributor

Re: ECT ??

Hi, I don't personally have experience - I'm not quite depressed enough to get ECT! Well, that's what I'm told. However 2 of my friends have had it and it has helped them immensely, which is why I would give it a go. There was some short term memory loss (like over the period of the treatment, not old memories or new memories) but otherwise both experienced a positive mood boost.
Lunar
Senior Contributor

Hello @STORMGRL101

It is good that you are doing some research on ECT at the moment there are some threads discussing ECT that you might like to read through as well;

@getbetter started a great thread about 'ECT' that you might like to read through. There is also a thread by @730 discussing 'ECT treatment'

Hope they help

Lunar 🙂

Arjay
Senior Contributor

Yes, many times over the last 20 years.  Last session, 12 treatments, it made me fantasticallly well, but I suffered memory problems.  I've been trying TMS with mixed results.  I would consider it again if things dont get better.  I feel that being well for a few months is worth losing my memory.  Photos tend to spark the memory. Still need that chemical answer!  

I've had ECT quite a number of times for depression over the years and actually recommend it. If I had to have it again I would in a heartbeat. After about the 4th session in a series of 12, I began to turn a corner quite dramatically. I was basically so depressed I was in a catatonic state and also was not eating or drinking properly. 

On the occasions I've had ECT it definitely saved my life! You don't feel anything during the treatments due to a general anaesthetic and muscle relaxant. After I woke up I had a slight headache for a short while which was easily treated. I also had a bit of short-term memory loss which went away quickly. For a few hours, I couldn't remember events of the day or the day before. However having said that, the ECT was given in the morning and my mid-afternoon my memory was restored.

The good news is my catatonic state responded really well to the ECT treatments and I was functioning, eating and drinking again quickly.

I've never had TMS, because I don't think I could sit still long enough to actually sit through a treatment (which is required). Some treatments I've heard are longer than 30 minutes and to be still that long (no matter how comfy the chair) would require miracles from me. Having said that, I know some people who've had TMS treatment and swear by it.

hi i have had 12 lots of ect treatment and it worked very good for me as i was very depressed and suicidal it was given to me over a 4 week period but some it doesnt work but myself i think i have gained a lot of long term memory but lost some short term memory but helped me live life again but i also have bipola as well as heart conditions 

ocder
Casual Contributor

Not directly but my mum has had this several times. Also diagnosed with Treatment Resistant Depression, its quite effective. The upsides can be really quite shocking, after a few sessions, the depression can literally diss-appear. However the downsides are that there can be memory loss and you wont know it. But the process is painless, done with a sedative and can be done as an out-patient. Typically a course is 12 sessions. You might find after just 4/5 you start to feel better, Again I just see as an observer. 

It can literally be a life saver if nothing else has worked and having seen the benefits in that kind of situation, it can be worth considering. If you are not sure, ask to be shown the ECT suite, you'll see the equipment etc. The psychiatrists have always been more then happy to show me and allow me to observer the process and in your case, maybe they would (with consent of another patient), allow you to observe.

ocder
Casual Contributor

Not seen TMS, but again with ECT can seem barbaric, but can bring people back from the brink.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance