Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Great time of year for new plants. i have some spare spaces in garden for more too. 😁

How do i include others in my post?

Hi @Mellysmellyelly ,

Welcome to the forums. I'm one of the moderators here on the forums so you might see me around from time to time but all the members here are a great help as well, as you have already seen.

To include others you can "Tag" them by typing the @ symbol before their name. You will know that you have tagged others as their names will highlight in a light blue colour.

Hope that helps  Smiley Very Happy
Radius

Use the @ symbol as I have with you @Mellysmellyelly , the last few people who have contributed to the discussion thread will pop up for selecting or you can start typing in another name and options will appear.

Hi everyone 🙂 

I am looking to build a garden in my home and am very new to gardening! In my new house I have an outdoor garden that gets afternoon sun, and hedges through the front of my house that has full light for most of the day. 

Also looking at indoor plants too. Looking forward to gardening as some new self care activities!  🌱

Any ideas of where I should start or the types of plants I should look into for beginners?
@Former-Member @Mellysmellyelly @Adge @Smc @Sophie1 @Anastasia @Determined 

Hi @Daisydreamer 

New home = exciting.

Are you interested in growing edibles, ornamentals or both?

a-garden-is-a-friend-you-can-visit-any-time.jpg

I'd be interested in both @Former-Member 🙂 It would be nice to have fresh veggies from my garden for meals, but also ornamentals I can enjoy looking at

how exciting @Daisydreamer Smiley Very Happy

Ixorys are nice bush with lots of colour when flowers are out 

we are rebuilding later after our house is demolized

in the yard i have a hedge , ixorys-- red, pink, orange, yellow , ground lillies

heeloo and hugs @Adge@Mellysmellyelly , @Former-Member , @Radius 

DSC00464103.jpg

my orchidsmy orchids

IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0607.jpg

Lovely colours in these photos @Shaz51. One of my favourite flowers are hydrangeas which I'm thinking could look nice.

Is gardening something you have enjoyed doing and will enjoy doing as your home is rebuilt?

@Daisydreamer  the climate zone you are in has a bearing on what plants you can grow and what we are likely to suggest, if you could give some indication as to this it would be helpful.

Climate zones are  tropical = north Aust, subtropical = northeastern NSW, greater Sydney area + north of it, Mediterranean = Adelaide/Perth, cool temperate = south east SA,  Victoria, north-NW Tassie, cold = mid to southern Tassie, mountain regions, dessert area = central Aust.

garden zones.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance