Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Knitting

Love this post. Am a knitting newbie (<MTH) but can already see the power of iit

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Hi @HopefulWarrior ! So glad you are reaping the benefits of knitting 🧶! What is on your needles at the moment? I found this about the benefits of knitting from a charity group in the UK: https://www.creativehertfordshire.com/networks/creative-hertfordshire/documents/health-benefits-of-k...

You might find it interesting as a kind of bingo game. 🙃

Still deciding, re project

Another bunny from square or a pencil case

Thx for the link.    What have got on go at mo?

Hi @HopefulWarrior . Welcome to this discussion post! I'm glad you like knitting! There's some great people here who have plenty of different skills like @Gwynn @BlueBay @Eve7 @Peri .

As for me, I've got several projects on the go including a scarf and several blankets in various stages of progress. I find that knitting helps with my mental health immensely as it calms me down as well as goving me something to focus on during stressful times. It also gives me a sense of being productive when I feel that I'm not and it also allows me to connect with my deceased mother who taught me to knit when I was 8. I do knit beanies and scarfs and squares for charity as well which gives me a sense of purpose knowing that someone less fortunate will be able to keep warm via something of mine that I've knitted.

I loon forward to seeing your knitted projects here should you wish to share them!

Judi9877☺️👋🧶

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

My grandmother has requested that I make her a beanie in white, still in the 14 ply/ 10 mm needle range I've been working in, so that'll be my next project. Smiley Happy I'll have to learn how to knit stocking stitch as I go and how to decrease and how to seam an object together. I think I showed her this pattern, so I think that's what she wants: https://sheepandstitch.com/pattern/how-to-knit-a-hat-on-straight-needles-tutorial/

My poor recovery blanket is eyeing me accusingly from the couch saying 'seam meeee': because why would you finish a project that's 90% done when you can pick up a new project? Smiley LOL

It'll also be my first project where gauge is important - does anyone have any tips for making sure hats turn out right? 

Hi there @Gwynn .

Great to know you're going to look at doing a beanie. Well done forumite👍! Personally, I only knit beanies in 8ply yarn and that's on 4.5mm needles and follow a pattern from a charity I knit for as most of the beanies I knit go to them. I'm on a mission to knit 19 beanies for them at the moment with 2 done already. I don't really pay attention to gauge- never really bothered with it myself as I just knit mostly for myself and hope for the best!- so I'm not the best person to ask, sorry! What I do know is stocking stitch is easy and so is knitting beanies. Once you know how to knit stocking stitch, which is basically 1 row knit, 1 row purl, you can knit anything including jumpers and ponchos which I am in the process of knitting now. I wish you all the best with your beanie and look forward to seeing your progress! 

As for your recovery blanket, please don't get too upset about leaving it by the wayside. The blanket I was working on, my Wellness Blanket, has also gone the same way with me aiming to get back to it eventually! I've started knitting another blanket for myself in the meantime which I'm sewing up squares as I knit to make it easier for myself rather than having squares all piled up around the house and then not finishing the project! 

Have fun with your knitting!

Judi9877😎🌸🧶

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

My mother found me another beanie pattern to make without stocking stitch, and now I'm up to row 17 on it (out of 25) and have learned to knit 2 stitches together!! My grandmother wants her beanie before winter, so I'm going to have to spend some time knitting to get this finished for her.  IMG_2187.JPG

Hello @Gwynn 
I'm very impressed by your new scarf/piece of work! I'm also curious about the pattern you are knitting. I'd like to know what it is if I may ask please as this is something that I'd possibly like to attempt myself. Well done on making this item so far!

Judi9877☺️🧶

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

I finished my grandmothers beanie! My mum helped me stitch it up.  It's called a Bergen beanie and mum bought the pattern for me here: https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-au/p/bergen-3-style-options-beanie-knitting-pattern-by-anrol-by-lorna-...

Its a little more lacy when you wear it than I was hoping, maybe a 14 ply wasn't the right weight of yarn to make this in.  

662F5CCF-8C3F-4F81-9F52-99C69A3991D6.jpeg

Hi there @Gwynn and others passing through who are knitters! I hope you are each having fun with your creations, whatever they may be!

@Gwynn . The hat is fantastic! I've just checked the pattern (paid unfortunately!) and it's for chunky yarn so you've made the right choice with 14ply yarn. I don't think you've made a mistake at all with the pattern and I think you'll see the best of it when your relative wears it. Well done on your brilliant achievement! Maybe you should make yourself a hat now that you've achieved one for your relative!

I'm still working on beanies for the charity I knit for. Part way through beanie 3 now in blue shades as I write. I know the pattern off by heart so I don't need to look down at a written pattern even though I keep it on my phone and in my emails as copies to refer to just in case in need it. I'm working with 106 stitches on 4.5mm knitting needles and I enjoy making the beanies as the main section is 30 rows of stocking stitch which means I can get creative with the colours of yarn I use in this section. The bottom section is 10 rows of rib stitch and the crown section (where the decrease of stitches happen) is 21 rows. I'll see if i can find the pattern to post here if you like so you and others can try it out. I use 8ply yarn so a beanie doesn't cost that much to make, especially if I can pick up yarn cheap at Spotlight or sometimes op shops as well.

Have fun knitting everyone.

Judi9877☺️🧶

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance