Skip to main content

Re: LIVE CHAT: BPD for Friends, Family and Carers - This Sunday 3rd October 7:00-8:30pm AEDT

Oh, sorry @BlueBay . Thank you for raising that.

pwBPD = people/person with BPD

Re: LIVE CHAT: BPD for Friends, Family and Carers - This Sunday 3rd October 7:00-8:30pm AEDT

I believe that pwBPD refers to a person with or people with BPD

@Shaz51 ,

Panic attacks can be a symptom of BPD. People with BPD are often hyper-sensitive to their environment so that it can result in a panic attack.

I saw one psychologist who did see me for 5 years. He told me at the end of one session "sorry can't htlp you anymore" 

I left in a terrible state sobbing in the car. I had to call the CAT team. Fear rejection abandonment all came to mind. I crossed boundaries so many times. He would tell me to stop yet I round keep going. But he crossed the boundary by hugging me when I was so emotional. I did see him as a close friend.  Now I know they wasn't good. 
@BPDSurvivor 

Yes he is 15 now and has  had panic attacks which the ambulance  has had to come @BPDSurvivor 

How can I help  his dad to help his son 

@Meowmy ,

I believe part of your mum's need to 'control' things is that her internal emotional being is totally out-of-control. So by control you, she is feeling some sort of control.

Does your mum see there is a problem?

@BlueBay ,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. 

From what you have described, I really believe the clinician had limited understanding in working with someone with BPD. 

For BPD therapy to work, the therapist must be a good 'fit' for the person, irrespective of all the knowledge he/she has.

I too have had a therapist tell me not to return because he couldn't help me.

@BlueBay , I don't believe people are untreatable or treatment-resistant. Rather, these clinicians are simply out of their depth. 

I encourage you to keep looking until you find the right person. BPD is VERY treatable!

Hey @Shaz51 

I would say to the boy to take some slow deep breaths. Ask him a few questions like tell me 3 things you can see or touch it smell. It's like a grounding technique. 

once I had a panic attack while driving. I stopped and called 000. I was so bad. Couldn't tell them where I was. Eventually police found me. they assured me I will be ok, take some deep breaths. 

Hi @BPDSurvivor 

Thank you so much for sharing this part of your story with us Heart

The way that you described feeling ‘like a child trapped in an adults body’ makes so much sense and this is something that I repeatedly observed with some of the adults that I supported.

During these times, I found myself modifying the way in which I was interacting with them. As such, I ever so carefully and sensitively responded to them based on their developmental age as opposed to their chronological age - which appeared to be incredibly effective Heart

Take care,

ShiningStar Heart

A little under the weather here folks. Will watch along