Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Alison2022
Contributor

Depression

Does anyone else really struggle around Christmas? 

I find everyone seems to be so happy and excited but for me its just another gloomy day but with added stress of buying gifts and cooking.. 

I feel like such an outsider. 

18 REPLIES 18
hanami
Senior Contributor

Re: Depression

Hi @Alison2022 

Yep I hear you! I have a big family with all of us getting on reasonably well but I struggle at Christmas time. I feel like a Grinch because I just can't get into it like others. I can put on my happy face for the day though and get through knowing that I will feel relief come boxing day. I LOVE when it's all done and dusted. I just went up to the local pharmacy and so many people seemed on edge. I was with my daughter and said to her, 'I wish they'd all just chill'. There is so much pressure to perform. I think there are many others feeling the same.

Here's a link to our post that's specifically for those struggling at this time of year.

https://saneforums.org/t5/Special-Events/Christmas-New-Year/m-p/1235723 

Sending hugs

Hanami

Yep I am with you on that @Alison2022 

Between the guilt-induced marketing and all the happy people with friends and family to celebrate with, I would be happy to have Christmas cancelled for good!

Sometimes though, when I am in more of a wise mind, I remind myself that we just don't know what people's lives are behind closed doors. Their outside persona may just be that.

I lived for many many years like that. People thought I had a perfect life.  I would fall apart.

It can be a really lonely time of year. I hope you can find this forum helpful in providing some support and reassurance that your feelings are not uncommon.

Thank you for sharing. It does make me feel less alone. I also put on a happy face for so long but recently I just can’t. So I struggle through and enjoy what I can. 

Thank you for replying @Hope0011

That is a really good point that maybe more people than I realise are just struggling through the same as me. 

@Alison2022  it doesn't make your feelings less real though and when we are feeling really depressed it's hard to see this.

It's hard when you can't even pretend. I'm sorry you're feeling so low. Do you think it's Christmas and that you'll feel better when it has passed? Or is it something you think will continue? 

Sending hugs

Hanami

Hi @Alison2022,

I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas either to be honest. I have a couple of relatives that have been know to clash when then come together. It's one of those days where it is unavoidable that they come together at my house for lunch. This means I spend much of the Christmas Eve and Christmas day in a state of anxiety worrying about how things will play out. 

As I get older I'm starting to realise that a lot of people can have issue with Christmas for a lot of reasons. I don't think you're an outsider at all - I think the way you feel is more common than you think.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Unfortunately it’s just the way I’ve been feeling for a while now. Christmas is just exasperating it.

Thank you for your kind words

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance