Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Medusa13
Contributor

Partner in private psychiatric clinic

Hi, my spouse has BPD and is in a private psychiatric hospital. After her med change (cold turkey off antipsychotic and added adhd medication 48 hrs after at a moderate dose) she became unstable and cut me off her contact list, with paranoid thoughts of me cheating. (Completely untrue).

I have not been contacted now in 10 days and haven’t been on this kind of journey before. I have tried to contact the hospital and my spouse to no avail. Can anyone with a similar experience enlighten me as to what could be going on?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Partner in private psychiatric clinic

It's been a while since you posted this, so I am unsure whether you have had any help in the real world since your message. I can relate to this on a similar level, my mother having been sectioned 8 week ago. She constantly tells my father that she wants a divorce if he doesn't get her out, but then in the next breath calls him "her dad", to then be paranoid, out of control, aggressive and uncooperative with everyone that goes near her.

She has had many tests, EEGs, scans, the ink to the brain thing (don't know the name) to show up any anomalies ... all negative. She doesnt have Alzheimer's, bi-polar, Parkinson's, epilepsy and actually rates well on the depression scale. She cuts my dad off, pretends to be sleeping when he visits and just is downright childish and sometimes I think to myself "Dad, cut your losses" because I'm so angry with her, for her outcomes in life which are very self-inflicted, BUT I know it's a mental health issue and that is the real hard part of it. Like you, how does someone deal with that?

I just thought I'd reach out, not so much with any groundbreaking advice, but more so with a friendly "I get you" message. No-one seems to have the answers, just different dosages of medications and often sedating to keep things calm. My dad, like you, is on a roller coaster of "Is this real? Have I lost her? Will she come back? If there's nothing medically wrong, then why? Should I walk away?".

I feel for you and sympathise with your situation. I really hope you get some answers and more so, get some connection back to your spouse in some way or form.

Re: Partner in private psychiatric clinic

Hi @Medusa13 ,

I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament. Have you had any news from your spouse? Just checking in to make sure you are okay. Speaking from experience as a carer for my husband, it is not uncommon for people with mental health disorders to become extremely anxious and suspicious when there is a change of medication and/or substance abuse. Unwarranted jealousy or feelings of being framed, lied to or cheated on were definitely recurrent themes for my husband before he had major psychosis episodes. I do hope you have been able to get reunited with your loved one. I would imagine the hospital would definitely try to reach out to you as part of the recovery process. Please feel free to comment if you need someone to chat to. It's good for your own recovery to be able to get support from others. Take good care of yourself 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance