Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Meg1
Contributor

Hearing voices - refusing help

Hello All...I'm seeking feedback if anyone might have a thought. My adult son has schizoaffective disorder. For the last 12 months or so, he has really gone downhill, and constantly hears voices - these are of people who he has known and has, apparently, had run ins with in the past. He is adamant that the voices are real...he says they are not like 'other' voices...these are different. His life is being destroyed...he is depressed, lacking in sleep, stressed and angry...all due to these voices. He refuses to see a doctor; has not gone near a psychiatrist for a long time; and is receiving his antipsychotic prescription through GP care. The particular antipsychotic is something that he will at least take; but it is not really helping with either voices, depression or anxiety. He refuses to take any more medication; and does not wish to talk to me about the voices, because I have refused to believe that the voices are real. I have told him I believe he hears them; and that I am concerned he is distressed by them; but I cannot agree that he is hearing real voices. He also claims that somehow these voices are breaking into his apartment at night and interfering with his belongings. It matters not what I say...he simply refuses to believe anything other than what he believes. And he refuses any form of help. He does not really believe he is sick. Currently, he is not taking care of business...he is not paying bills; doesn't  have an up to date pension card because he moved and did not notify Centrelink of his change of address etc. I cannot get him to seek help anywhere...not a GP; not a psychologist; and certainly not a psychiatrist. I really don't know how to talk to him...he simply gets angry if I say things he does not want to hear. Any suggestions? Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Hearing voices - refusing help

Hi @Meg1 ,

I can hear how difficult things have come to with your son hearing voices and refusing help. 

Do you go with your son to the GP? I wonder if they can link you in with services to contact (in your area) to get you son some more support?

Do you see your son as a danger to himself or others? This is probably the first thing people will ask. 

But it does sound like he may need a medication review.

I hope others on the forums will be able to provide more insight into your situation.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Meg1 

I feel the exhaustion this episode will be taking.

I have no real experience. A friends brother was so paranoid and irrational and sadly whatever was said was wrong and he was always "running" from perceived threats. Bi polar diagnosis helped so much. But once he drove interstate. The car stopped. So he just left it on the road and took a bus. Very sad. He is fine now but it probably took 5 years to stabilise him and his thoughts. Different medications. Then some medications made him tired. He stopped takjng. Things escalated again.

I commend you on the effort involved by you and persisting. Your son may never know. But l hear your compassion. Well done

Hello @tyme  No, my son will not allow me to be involved in his GP appointments...that's if he goes at all. I agree, he likely would benefit from a medication review. However, earlier this year he was admitted to a private hospital, after about a year of his trying to get there on his own, for TMS treatment, which has been helpful for him in the past. But after just over a week, his psychiatrist discharged him - or should I say, threw him away - because he was not 'forthcoming' enough and did not agree to take additional medication. Anyway, thank you for your input. 

Hello @Former-Member Thank you. 

@Meg1 hello, I'm new to this forum. How are you and you son doing now?

Hey @Meg1 

Sounds a very distressing situation you're in. Here is a SANE factsheet that might have some helpful information for you...Families, friends & carers (sane.org)

Make sure you are looking after your health too, it's hard to support running on empty... you matter too 💚

Dear @tyme: Thanks for your response. I'm sorry this is so overdue - I really don't know why I didn't see this and a number of other responses earlier. Things are a little more calm, thanks. But we are now battling other issues, which I'll save for another post. Many thanks. Meg1

Hi @Blackbird11 Many thanks. I'll take a look at the fact sheet. Kind regards, Meg1

Hi @Wolfpackx4 Thanks for your message. Things are a little more calm, though we are dealing with different issues at the moment. It really is never-ending. Best, Meg1

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance