Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

NikNik
Senior Contributor

What workplace & employment topics would you like to chat about?

Hi everyone,

Since Dec 2015, @Debstar from Ostara has been running Career Chat on Fridays between 10am AEDT – 4pm AEDT. Over this period, the topics of discussion were:

• Creating a CV and a cover letter
  • Managing interviews
  • Benefits and challenges to working & how to overcome them
  • How to maintain confidence and self esteem while job hunting
  • How to stand out to a potential employer
  • How to survive the first few weeks of a new job
  • Handling rejection when job hunting
  • Answering interview questions

We are planning more sessions and really want the community to benefit. So what other way is there but to ask you directly!?

We’re open to all ideas, however, there may be some topics we can’t address.

What we want to hear from you is:

1. Out of the topics we have listed above, which do you find challenging and what do you feel confident in?

2. In general, what challenges do you find with workplace and/or employment?

3. Are there any specific topics you would like to see addressed?

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: What workplace & employment topics would you like to chat about?

1. Challenging: I guess all of the above Smiley Frustrated

Confidant: n/a

2. How long have you got? Smiley Wink

I guess the biggest issues would have to be that I am deeply troubled by many of the ethical problems associated with modern employment - first and foremost being the expectation to pledge one's loyalty to a cold, faceless company before pledging it to a significant other. Another major matter being the aparrently miniscule chance of being able to get in to an employment situation that allows people to really make the world a better place.

As indecent and selfish as it may be, I also have severe concerns about getting shortchanged by employment. I worry that my job might not offer any fulfillment/reward/compensation of actual value to me in return for the work I am expected to do for others. I've had my kindness/charity abused by others before and the wounds it left has made me a worse person. I really worry about what I could become or what I might do if that abuse was repeated on the industrially efficient scale that a company would be capable of.

Finally, there's also the rather significant fact that I have no idea where my job is, and people - even the ones supposedly there to "help" are more interested in dealing out insults/snarky comments then directions.

3.    a.     How to make sure you are going to get what you need out of your job. How to make sure the job you get is one that will fulfill your specific needs. How to make sure you don't get "screwed over" (pardon my french) by your employer.

b.    Sturdy, yet honorable and compassionate exit strategies in case someone finds themself in employment that they need to get out of.

c.     How to find out where your supposed to be working in case you haven't been given adequate directions thus far.

Thanks for the feedback @chibam - it gives us a really good insight.

I will incorporate your feedback and run it by you before we lock the topics in.

Smiley Happy

The first few weeks at a new job is the most challenging for me. Personally I always feel like an imposter even though I have experience and studied hard. I prefer to start new in a group than all on my own for that reason. I am too sensitive to people's comments both in general (paranoid) and when they are evaluative of my work. They also tend to notice how different you are and bully you for it. If you've been isolated for too long you forget how to act around others. Even simple things. People notice and think you are rude. They don't consider something is wrong with you instead they judge you as a horrible obnoxious person. You end up forgetting you are ill and believing them. You end up with no self esteem. No matter how hard you try you can't act normal. The programming doesn't stick. The long days are tiring especially having to constantly fend off paranoid thoughts. Even a few hours of that tires me out completely. Then even once at home you can't switch off. You keep going over and over and over it again and again.

Anyways that is what it is like for me.

There's one elephant in the room that is missing from your list @NikNik and that is the of whether to disclose mental health issues or not.

This is something that can cause a lot of fear for many people, a fear that can continue once employed.  I believe that healthy and open discussion around might assist many people to make a decision on this matter that is based on others experiences rather than uninformed fear.

Hi @NikNik

I would like some topics for currently employed and newly diagnosed. All my employer knows is that I have medical issues.

Should you disclose your mental illness?
How do you talk to your boss and co-workers?
Do you need to disclose mental illness for work / travel insurance?
What are your rights and responsibilities at work?
Can your employer stop your employment of ground of fitness to practice?
Do you have to disclose your illness for licences, registrations etc?

I work in a fast pace and often difficult environment, but although I had a little time off I can again cope with the requirements. For the future I think I will need to continue to limit over-time, frequent travel and business events, but that should not impact my core responsibilities.

For me continued employment has gives me stability and routine that I need and it also keeps my mind challenged. I want it to continue this way.

Thanks @Former-Member @Kurra and @DefiantPanda ,

@Debstar and myself will look into all of these 🙂

Hi NikNik, i start p/t work tomorrow. I'm not sure how to cope with the inevitable social anxiety & bullying (perceived & imagined). Thanks.

Hi @Former-Member

Congrats on your new job and I hope your first day goes well tomorrow! Remember that everyone is a bit nervous when they start a new job and you don't have to know everything in the first week. Just try to be friendly and meet all the staff, and sus out who are the best people to go to with questions, who will be supportive. Trust your instincts on this.

Try to be aware of negative thoughts about yourself and breathe deep and let them go. You don't have to believe those thoughts 🙂

I hope that there won't be bullying in your workplace but it pays to find out if there is a policy to deal with this should it arise. Also working with a counsellor on assertiveness can be a protection against bullying or help you to deal with it, if it arises. There's a good book called Tricky People by psychologist Andrew Fuller that is an easy and informative read about managing difficult people. You could find it at your local library.

Go well and let us know how you get on this week.

kind regards,

Frog

I would love to have a discussion on how to identify discrimination.

It definitely occurs. What forms of discriminatory behaviour are there? What actions to take? How do we bring our concerns forward? How does Work Choices, EBA's etc come into play?

Also, how discrimination puts us on a lower footing to begin with. Stalled education, for instance. The large representation of mental illness in low socio-economic populations is evidence of this.

It's not all something we have ultimate control over, even if we follow checklists and do all the right things and behave all the right ways. It would be nice to acknowledge that.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance