Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: Welcome to the Lived Experience Forum

Hi Che,

Just as a FYI - we have changed the menu at the top of the SANE Australia page so people can pick between the carers forum & the lived experience forum.
Thanks again for flagging this.

My general feedback for the time being is that it is a bit clunky. Having to hit the back button is really really annoying. To the point where I am actually using the email link and jumping in an out of comment, post, back to,original email link and start all over again. Very different compared to Facebook groups like Adavic or other closed groups.
I don't care if there is a delay in posting up the comments, but I do care that I am not automatically redirected back to topic page again.
Also, anonymity as an option, because for some of us, trying to remember a fake name seems slightly contrary to being honest.
Good to see how much feedback site is already generating..!

hello,
I like the lady Che at beginning of the question time to bring this issue up.
I really enjoy reading the different stories but my issue..like everyone's is time and regular day by day catching up.
Personally, I rather it's anonymous because though I am now proud to say ' I have lived experience with times of mentAl ill health.' It took some time , some years to accept it and a few times to stop start regular medication.
I love that it's anonymous because everyone's story is so different and interesting and it could be anyone in the community.

I prefer anonymous. I know a couple of medical professionals who regularly look at psychology sites as part of their educative process. Whilst it is for all the right reasons, it wouldnt be too hard for anyone to work out who I was in a small regional town, which may restrict what I feel I could discuss and relay on the forum. For me its not being dishonest but giving me the freedom to discuss anything I want in anonymous safety. So I would not use my proper name, ever. I have told all my close personal friends I am Schizophrenic and they are all accepting. My parents and sister disowned me because of my metal illness. I am happy to tell people at a time of my choosing and when I feel confident about it. So please keep me anonymous.

Hi Che,

Any tips on how to upload a pic of any kind? I'm pretty hopeless with comuter tech........

Cuz

Hi cuz, probably a profile picture odd the most important because it changes the way others see you? 

To load a profile picture click on "my settings"  up at the top right next to your log in name, then click "profile picture"  and "upload an profile picture".  You can also choose an animal picture instead. 

Hi Alessandra,
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you are finding the navigation hard.

At the top of the page - above the "search forum" box, there should be "Lived Experience (home)" which is a link that will take you to the top page. Underneath that there is (if you're looking at this page specifically)

About the forum, including feedback and general discussion (which is the discussion topic): Welcome to the Lived Experience Forum (The topic you're currently in)

They are also hyperlinked so they will take you back to those locations.

When you post, there are also options to take you to your post, back to home or the discussion topic.

Is this what you were having problems with?

@nyxsong wrote:

@NikNik wrote:
Hi Che,

I just realised I didn't address your question about anonymity! My apologies.

The forums are anonymous for a few reasons - above all for privacy & safety purposes.

Another important reason the forums have been made anonymous is because we found that staying anonymous was important for people. People reported feeling more comfortable knowing they couldn't be identified or were concerned about posting their identity and not having control of who can access that information (strangers, potential employers, friends etc)

I hope that this element of the forums doesn't reduce the benefits for you.

Thanks for navigating your way to the forums - even if we made it a bit trickier than it should have been 🙂

I understand that for some people it is important to have anonimity but to me it feels like hiding and to be honest I have done enough of that in the analogue world. I think it would be nice to maybe have the option to use your real name without the necesity. It is a matter of pride for me to engage with the people who share a lived experience with me and I think on  a personal level I am skulking behind pseudonyms when I can't stand up and say who I am. it is of course different for everyone and it certainly changes as we move through our journey, so I encourage being anymous and as an option!

I agree optional anonymity is better than compulsory! It's a big ask and a big step to "come out" about your lived experience of mental illness, especially given all the fear, stigma and discrimination out there. 

But compulsory anonymity is not empowering people, and how are we going to own our experience and take pride in who we are if we live in a closet? 

It may also be an iPad issue..
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance