Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Deepbreaths
Casual Contributor

Panic disorder, living in a new area without help

hi,

im new here and hoping for support.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder, I was seeing a physciatrist and physcologist, 12 months ago my children and I became homeless as a result of a marriage breakdown and the only way we could get housing and out of a refuge was to move to a whole new area an hour away, As anxious as this made me I had to do what was best for my family. As 12 months ago we were in the midst of Covid-19 and lockdown, I continued with my doctors over the phone, a month later I rang to get my medication and my GP had gone overseas and nobody else would help me as they hadn’t seen me before and even though I explained my situation the other doctors in the surgery weren’t taking new patience, I went to 3 doctor surgeries in my new area and none would help. 1 telling me they don’t deal with mental health (?) the others wouldn’t see me without talking to my old GP who is still overseas. I went cold turkey off my medication because nobody would give me access to it, my mental health has severely declined especially in the last month, I’m anxious from the moment I open my eyes. Today was especially bad and I had a panic attack on the way back from taking the kids to school I sat in a gutter until it passed, I had 3 more attacks after that over the course of the day, From my childhood I was diagnosed with PTSD many years ago. I don’t really go out, that’s when my anxiety gets worse, my safe place is in my home for context,  2 weeks ago I went out with a friend, there was a male being inappropriate, trying to strongly suggest I should go home with him, a few hours later I was violently sick like I’ve never felt, in the end it came to light that my drink had been spiked. I never go out and the one time I did that happened I just feel like the only place I am safe is in my own home. The panic attacks have been worse since that night and more frequent. 
i really got to breaking point today and contacted beyondblue who referred me to Sane and got to talk to someone who was very helpful. 
My file has now been sent to a local doctor willing to treat me and get back on my medication, I see him tomorrow. It’s been a long day to make it until tomorrow as it felt impossible this morning but I’ve got through the last month I can make it one more night. Sometimes it just feels so hard and impossible to get the help I need and I hope tomorrow can bring me answers. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Panic disorder, living in a new area without help

Hi @Deepbreaths I'm really hearing how impossible this feels for you and it must be so difficult living with that every day. You are doing it though, every day and it sounds like you're doing the best you can. As someone who experiences anxiety, I'm here with you. I'm wondering how you went with the local doctor? I hope you have had some relief. 

Please take care,

Paperdaisy 

@maddison @NatureLover @Snowie @Eve7 

Hi @Deepbreaths 

Welcome to the Sane forums. It sounds like you have been through so much in the last year and still going through a lot. I hope you find the forums as supportive as I do.

I hope you got some answers today and were able to sort a few things out.

Sending lots of good vibes your way 💌💌

Hi @Deepbreaths and welcome to the forums. It has been a rough time for you over the past year and I really hope this new Dr is able to help with getting your medication sorted.

Well done for reaching out to Beyond Blue and Sane, that has taken courage.

I know you want to stay home especially after what happened with getting your drink spiked but I wonder if you’ve been able to connect with other Mums at school drop off / pick up times? That might be a safe place to meet…just a thought.

Take care

💜

Hi @Deepbreaths 

I am so sorry to read of the difficulties you have been facing. 

Welcome to the forums☺️ there is support here for you.

If you have time & are feeling up to it, I would be interested to hear how things are now, after seeing GP.

I was in similar situation, roughly 6 months where my anxiety was to the point that it was very debilitating. My GP experience was successful, an improvement - it did take a few weeks/months for correct dosage & body to adjust etc.

I still suffer daily now - however, I have found with meds & support, I am doing better.

Thankyou for sharing. I hope things can improve for you, & no rush to reply, if that's something you choose to do💗☺️🦄

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance