Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

BookWorm1
New Contributor

OCD and relentless intrusive thoughts

Hi folks - I have a 17 year old with OCD, diagnosed about 12 months ago. So far the biggest problem is non-stop intrusive thoughts and the associated anxiety with this. This affects sleep, school, social settings and leaves them exhausted. They are seeing psych and on medication (which has helped with anxiety levels to some extent but not with intrusive thoughts) but I am currently hunting for practical and/or self directed tools and tips that might work for them.  (FYI also has ADHD.) I am also interested in finding out about support networks/groups as they feel very isolated at times and feel like their “normal” friends don’t get it - which, let’s face it, they probably don't unless they also have OCD!  Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Re: OCD and relentless intrusive thoughts

Hi @BookWorm1,

Welcome to the Forums! My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is really nice to have you with us.

As a mum I know how hard it can be to watch your child struggle - I think often our instincts are to fix things and make things better and it can be frustrating and difficult when we can't always do this. I do think it's really great that you are reaching out for ideas and suggestions around strategies and support groups. You may already know this information but here is a link about OCD - hopefully it will be useful. 

I have also attached a link to KidsHelpLine which supports young kids, teenagers, young adults and their parents/carers.

ReachOutAustralia is another organisation that may be able to offer some support and/or guidance. ReachOut is an anonymous and confidential safe place where young people can openly express themselves, get a deeper understanding and perspective on what’s happening in their lives, connect with people who will provide judgement-free support, and build the resilience to manage their challenges now and in the future. Here is a link to their site for support and information on OCD ReachOut OCD. 

I would also encourage you to get some support as being a carer/mum can be a lonely place sometimes. Here is some information for families and carers Families and Carers.

I wish you both all the best - my dad had OCD so I know how challenging it can be.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance