Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

RoBo
New Contributor

I don't know what to do

Hi, I'm new here and I was looking for some advice, I have several mental health issues and I wanted to write a story with the main character having some of the mental health issues I have.

The only issue is my teacher really doesn't want me to write about my main character having DID as he deems it too "offensive" and "inconsiderate" when I just wanted to make a nice story that doesn't have the misconception that is commonly put on people with DID. I was diagnosed with DID a few years ago and I don't deem my story to be offensive but I'm not entirely sure if it will be ok, so I guess I'm asking if other people find it ok.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I don't know what to do

Hi @RoBo  

All you know atm is that your teacher thinks it's "offensive" and "inconsiderate" - and it's true that whatever you write someone won't like it and of course others will

Have you written it yet or are you planning it? I suggest you go ahead then find someone in the literary field to read it

It could be brilliant  - who knows 

All the best with it 

Dec

Hi @RoBo 

Yes please write your story. It might not be suitable for your teacher...but there may be people who need to hear your story.

My daughter has recently been "diagnosed" with DID and I've said the same thing to her. Write your story, help people to understand. I've always found writing to be therapeutic... getting things out of my head makes me feel better.

Good luck with it! Jaclot

Sure, you can write about anything you like. I think that making the main character likeable is one of the most important parts of a story, and they can be likeable with DID.

Hi @RoBo writing about our own experiences of life, whatever they may be, is wonderful, clarifying our understanding. I believe it is a contribution to society. I feel your teacher is way out of line to be honest, but I guess it may be tricky if they are grading your story in this case. Whatever you decide about this now, I hope you will continue to write about anything you find inspiring.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance