Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

rivergal
Senior Contributor

Change of medication

I am switching from one anti-psychotic to another for treatment of bipolar episode with recent psychosis.

The previous antipsychotic I took on an off for 15 years. One of the reasons to switch is because of weight gain.

Does anyone have any helpful comments?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Change of medication

Morning @rivergal,

Medication changes can be a bumpy ol' journey, and given you were on your last med for over 15 years I can imagine there might be a bit of trepidation.

What I've found most helpful is to have a supportive doctor I trust to chat through the changes with. I remember one medication did cause weight gain for me, and that was no fun, but I was able to monitor this with my treating doctor, weigh up the pros and cons with them, and they were able to answer any questions I had surrounding it.

It's hard for us to give you any specific advice here in the forums, as per our community guidelines, but we can provide support and understanding for the process 🌻

Rhye ☘️

Not easy to do @rivergal without good support so hopefully you have that in place.

Maybe the support of an understanding nutritionist will also help. 

All the best with this new medication.

Best wishes for the change @rivergal . My pdoc has occasionally raised the possibility of a change with me as there are several newer antipsychotics in his toolkit that don't cause as much weight gain.  I hadn't wanted to risk jeopardising my long-term stability but I'm more inclined to change now I find myself prediabetic. 

Hey @rivergal 

Just want to say I hope it goes well with the medication change. It's definitely a big thing with unknowns about coming off one and going on to another. Lots of support is essential. Reach out here whenever you need to!

hugs 

hanami 💮

Thank you

Thank you, yes this is the motivator to change

Thankyou. Yes for suggesting a nutritionist.

Thank you.

Hi @rivergal,

I just wanted to introduce myself - I am FloatingFeather one of the new peer support workers. I was just reading your post and can only imagine after 15 years you may be a little apprehensive about changing your medication.  Hopefully it is a smooth transition and the new medication will be a great fit for you.  

I think it's important to have a good support around you - being transparent with your support network (such as your GP) around how you are coping and feeling with the new medication so that they can best help you while you adjust to the new medication. 

Hope it all goes well. Please reach out if you need support - I'm sure many people can relate to what you are going through.

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance