Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Me_again
New Contributor

Acceptance..?

Hi all, 

I’m new to sane, I got referred here by my

psychiatrist after a diagnosis of bipolar II and I’m still struggling to come to terms with it. Any suggestions on different strategies that have worked for you accepting your diagnosis. 

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Acceptance..?

Hey @Me_again Welcome to the forums. I'm hearing you're still coming to terms with a new diagnosis and that's really hard. I hope you will find some supportive people here who will share their own experiences with you. 

I'm going to tag some members to get you started.

@NatureLover @wellwellwellnez @Flying_Hams @Eve7 @AussieRecharger @maddison 

All the best with your recovery 😊

@Paperdaisy Very much so still coming to terms with my diagnosis and I’m struggling to accept that I need medication everyday. It’s a hard thing I guess 😞 I don’t know, just feeling very overwhelmed I guess is the right word. 

Hello @Me_again and welcome to the forums. There are lots of friendly folk here with lived experience and who are willing to share with you.

I don’t have bipolar 2 but I do have depression and I understand what it’s like to live with a mental illness.

There are several social threads here as well as helpful information so, when you have time, have a look around.

Take care 😊

Hi @Me_again 

You've come to the right place if you're looking for support and a safe space. 

I don't have bipolar but I do suffer mental illness. 'Radical acceptance' had helped in to accept myself and my situation instead of panicking about it. Because that makes the anxiety a lot worse. 

Anyway, it's nice to meet you ❤

Christheart 

X

Hi @Me_again 

I have Bipolar. I was diagnosed at 19 years old and I am 51 now. Getting diagnosed is a kind of crossroads. You can either accept it or you can deny it. I chose to accept it and decided that I would live my best life possible with the illness! I since met and married my husband and raised 3 amazing kids. I will be married 29 years in October. It is possible to have a successful life. I would say that you just have to accept that medication is going to be a part of your life going forward. We are not allowed to discuss medications here but I will say that the most obvious bipolar medication didn’t work for me so I refused it and now I have found a combination of medications that work. I have been really well for 18 months. I still have the occasional episode, the last major one was December 2020 where I ended up in the locked ward but nothing really since then. Mostly I feel quite normal. There is hope! Good luck with your journey. Get an NDIS plan so you can get some support workers. 

Meggle

welcome @Me_again
I hope you find these forums helpful

sounds like there's a lot going on for you atm

in terms of accepting diagnosis - i find background reading is very helpful. But I also remember trying to fix things right away. Of course this could not be the answer at such an early stage but it was just a way of me trying to understand/come to terms with it.

I guess it was normal to do.

Anyways, I do hope you're well. Once again welcome

@Me_again 

Welcome

I don’t have bipolar II but I suffer from depression. 

I have only discovered this forum recently myself. I have found it to be an amazing and supportive group. It’s the first time I’ve been able to open up and receive support instead of judgement. 

Everyone has different experiences and are going through different things but are always willing to listen and be by your side. 

I hope you get the benefit from here that I have. 

Captain24 💕

Hi and welcome, @Me_again 

I don't have bipolar but just wanted to pop in and say, you can type 'bipolar' into the Search bar above and see lots of threads on it, if you like...

Wishing you all the best as you come to terms with your diagnosis.

With all this going on, one thing I want you to remember is not to put limitations on yourself.  You can still live a full life, be inspirational, and challenge and overcome boundaries. 

Be kind to yourself, you are only human.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance