Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

BlueLady
New Contributor

What to do while we wait for an appointment

We are waiting to hear from CAHM's, we went to emergency yesterday for a mental health assessment. We were discharged from the children's hospital, there has been a previous attempt at suicide, his friend talked him out of it, I don't know what to do, can  I leave him home? do I make him come with me every time I have to leave the house? any advice would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Re: What to do while we wait for an appointment

Hi @BlueLady ,

It sounds like a very stressful time for all of you.

I definitely hear your dilemma about whether to stay with your son or leave him at home.

As a safe-guard, having someone around will definitely be helpful, especially if he has just come back from hospital. Even if it is a neighbour or a friend. Having someone around (even if they do not talk) can make a huge difference.

It sounds like your son is quite vulnerable at the moment. I somehow feel he wouldn't want to be leaving the house right now - this makes it even harder for you.

Do you have a hospital triage line you can call? I think it's a good idea to hear what they advise.

I recognise it is hard now. But it won't always stay this way. It's important you get the support you need.

Please take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance