Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Ozzinau
Casual Contributor

Treatment by practitioner

Hi, this is my first post. I am a male in his early 50's and am on a mental health care plan and my Psychologist listens and so far she has only asked me to complete schemas and other surveys and suggested one constructive advice ( could be a few) I don't want to sound ungrateful but I have seen her 7 times now and when I approached her she seemed reluctant and a bit annoyed to advise further suggestions. All she seems to do is listen which seems that I am paying for her to listen only not further ideas to overcome my thoughts, actions to better myself towards others and myself. Should I see a clinical psychologist who are in the same practice or see her still which she is a Psychologist but  not a Clinical Psychologist? Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Treatment by practitioner

@Ozzinau 

it seems reasonable to me to expect to work through issues fully.  I personally have been dissappointed with the input of psychologists.  They should be able to help you reflect on the schemas and see how a schema might be barrier and suggest ways to overcome barriers.

Tbh I now believe psychologists are grossly overpaid.

Thanks for the feedback. Thought I would be proactive and I actually called the practice myself ( and spoke to the admin staff there) to clarify any miscommunication 😀. Then it is best if I speak to her ( my Psychologist) first before going in with her unaware so we can use the appointment to work out strategies / treatments such as CBT etc.. 😉

Good on you @Ozzinau  for making steps to address it. I hope that moves things in a better direction for you. 

In my experience it's not about whether they're clinical or counseling psychologist it's about the practitioner themselves and their style or framework. If you did decide to try someone else it would be good to speak to a few people and ask them how they work, what approaches they use, and see how they fit for you. 

The proactive step/ s are always the best. Hence me speaking to the admin there. The practice is professional enough to take the discussion onboard which me next appointment is scheduled in person as preferred over telehealth consults 😀
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance