Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday 2: Mindfulness Psychologist *CLOSED*

Hi Everyone,

Join us tonight for Topic Tuesday. Our special guest this week is 'BeMindful', a mindfulness psychologist. 

Got any questions about what it is, how it works, or how to do it? BeMindful is now available to answer your questions. Our session kicks off now. 

Welcome BeMindful! Smiley Happy

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Topic Tuesday 2: Mindfulness Psychologist

Thank you CherryBomb and hello to everyone. Firstly I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm BeMindful and I'm a mindfulness psychologist in private practice. I practice and teach a lot of mindfulness and yoga. I also teach a mindfulness course. In fact, I have just come home from Thailand where I was on a yoga retreat. Mindfulness is pretty popular at the moment and I'm here to answer any questions or concerns you might have about mindfulness. 

Thanks BeMindful, for those of us who might not know what it is, can you tell us a bit about it? 

Can mindfulness be an unintended consequence of doing something else like painting or reading or walking or do you have to be actively being mindful?

Also I would like to do classes

Sure thing CherryBomb. Mindfulness is a way of being and self-observation. It teaches you to switch from your normal mode of functioning and enables present moment awareness. Mindfulness has been loosely defined as awareness (in Eastern traditions) but it is much deeper than that. Mindfulness is actually quite difficult to define as it is an experiential concept. That is you have to get out of your normal mode of doing and just be in the moment. There are many techniques in which you can practice and experience mindfulness for yourself.

Do I need to practice regularly at a set time and how many days in a week would work best?

Thanks Annabelle, good question!

If you are painting or walking you are likely to be in a relaxed state. Which is great. However you might be distracted and not entirely aware of your thoughts. For example, if you are painting with mindfulness I would recommend paying precise attention to each brush stroke and how you are actually painting (e.g., quickly or how tense is your grip on the paint brush). So when you are actively being mindful during an activity it requires a lot of focus.

Annabelle:

In response to your second question about classes. If you are in Melbourne you can call Mindfulgym on 9429 6110. If you are not in Melboure, and if this is ok with you, please let me know where you are located and I will try and point you in the right direction. 

Thanks, I live in the north west of Sydney
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance