Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Bow
Senior Contributor

noises

This is probably really silly, but sitting here tonight bothered by it and thinking.... 

I’ve noticed in recent weeks that I have become overly sensitive to noises, background noises. Not loud or anything. I had to get up and walk out of the room tonight before I lost my cool. Dog walking on the floor boards, clock ticking, people using computers, car outside. Nothing out of the normal really and things that usually don’t bother me. But at various points throughout the day I’m finding that I am getting more and more aware and irritated by them. 

anyone relate? Find it more heightened when anxiety levels are high?

19 REPLIES 19
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: noises

Yes @Bow 

I do relate to this. I suffer anxiety. But I don't think this is entirely the answer. 
Today I was very irritated. I think my sleep has been odd. Nightmares. But I sleep. Then fall asleep in the day. I'm unsure why.

Do you loose interest in usual activities?

Bow
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member Yes, have lost interest a bit. My moods have been really low, don’t have much motivation really, got to force myself to do thing some days. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I can relate to this  @Bow 

😔

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning @Bow  Wishing you a better day. I'm focused. Took a walk. Was very aware of my surroundings.

Possibly what you are experiencing is related to past trauma processing it's way out? 
Just a thought. Have a good day. 🙂

Bow
Senior Contributor

Interesting thought @Former-Member ..... hmmm

Hey @Bow 

So I've noticed in your message you say it's been in the past few weeks you've become aware of and agitated by the sounds of background noise. Are you able to sit and think for a moment if anything has happened the past month that's had an impact on you? Is there something that's been on your mind a lot?

For me, I've found that if I haven't been able to recognise or acknowledge my feelings about a situation it tends to start showing up as anger in other areas of my life. Being able to process emotions has always been a challenge for me, and I've relied heavily on anger to coax though life. However, I now realise that a lot of the time when I'm angry about something, I'm usually angry about something else entirely. If you can sit with the anger and ask yourself where it's coming from, what prompted it, what's behind it, and try to find the underlying cause it might help.

I've also learned that because I carry a lot of stress and tension around as it is, I can become agitated quite easily by things that typically wouldn't bother someone else. If your stress bucket is already full of sh*t, it's not going to take much to tip the scales.

Hope this helps.

Bow
Senior Contributor

Oh lots has happened @saltandpepper and yep, haven’t processed any of it. I guess that would make sense then. 

Thank you

Former-Member
Not applicable

It's pretty interesting why it all happens. I think I get super stressed @Bow 

Do you have a diagnosed condition you are questioning?

No worries @Bow if you're comfortable talking about what's going on, I'm happy to listen

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance