Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Helpmeheal
Senior Contributor

That sinking feeling in the morning.

That feeling first thing in the morning… waking up feeling so sad and dreading a whole day ahead. I really think mornings are the worst for me. How do you prepare to struggle through another day of feeling like garbage? I’m off for a hot shower, hoping that might help. Sigh.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: That sinking feeling in the morning.

Hi @Helpmeheal 

My anxiety is always worse in the mornings on waking. I read an article recently about how this is due to our cortisol levels being highest at this time of the day. Then it evens out as the morning goes on. I'm usually fine a few hours after I'm up. I've kind of come to just accept that this is the way it is. It's hard though some days, pushing through it with that horrid feeling in your gut.

Hope your shower helped you

Hanami

Hi @Helpmeheal

I agree mornings can be the hardest. My friend practices gratitude every morning (I try to but I often forget). She writes down in a journal everyday five things she is grateful for - she says it helps put her in a better frame of mind for the day. 

Another thing that helps me when I am feeling flat is mindfulness. I like to go outside, stand in the grass with no shoes on and look around. For five minutes I just try to focus on what's around me (a flower, a lady bug etc) - it really helps bring me into the present, helps me refocus and gives my mind a bit of respite.

I really do hope your day improves @Helpmeheal.

Warms wishes,

FloatingFeather

Cortisol aye @hanami . That makes me think of the body language experiment. I'm going to put it up. It's a classic.

I should say, I saw on "Adam Ruins Everything" that the exact experiment has been hard to replicate. I think it's because it's tricky separating body pose inputs from body movement inputs. I also think these things are all connected.

I tend to wiggle my fingers toes in the morning. I heard it's good waking up but, now I'm thinking about it,  I think I also kind of do it to sort of psych myself up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc

Hi @Helpmeheal yes morning anxiety is a hard way to start the day. I like to do deep breathing exercises (square breathing) stretch my legs and tap up and down my arms and legs (quite firmly) shoulder to wrist several times and hips to knees several times. It gets you out of your head and into your body. A big glass of water also. All of this while I’m still in bed. I too like to then step outside and feel the cold winter air and just look around. Mindfulness plays a big part in reducing my anxiety and after a little while it dissipates to a manageable level. I hope you find some of these suggestions helpful. 

Hello @Krishna how did your Jost Sauer webinar go?  I forgot to get in touch with you regarding that...

Hi @SmilingGecko  Such an inspirational speaker. Everything he teaches makes a lot of sense as far as expelling energy in the morning through breathing exercising and meditation. Get that Yang energy out and moving and then starting to slow down with the Yin energy from late afternoon. I’ve printed out the suggested exercises to do in the mornings but just have to get my cosy warm in bed winter headspace on board lol x I’ve also bought his Chi Cycle book and looking forward to putting all into practice. Thank you for the recommendation. 

Thats great to hear.  I love Jost Sauer and he has changed my life. The turning point came when I bought his book The Perfect Day Plan (the chi cycle book) I have stuck to the chi cycle for over 10 years.  I think lack of routine accounts for all kinds of lifestyle symptomologies.  Anyway the chi cycle is easy to read and you can implement easily without any fuss. I read it in a weekend.  Your life will change for the better.  Good luck with it @Krishna❤️

Hello @Krishna @Sirius just wanted to recommend this expansive discussion on the new moon in virgo which is coming up next week.  I thoroughly enjoyed this material it was high vibe and totally uplifting.  I cannot think of anyone who would not enjoy it in the spiritual community.  Anyway here it is - its quite long but definitely worth it!  I love what this woman has to offer. She is a skilled practitioner and the words she conveys are priceless. Definitely worth the investment of your time.  If you like Jost you will also like Tanishka 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rxbY7G97NQ

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance