Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JaneG
New Contributor

Self harm

Does anyone sometimes when their having a really bad day, think of self harm but don’t have plans to act on it. It’s kinda like a thought u think of that clams u down or makes the pain go away for a little bit just to know there is way out if things get to much. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Self harm

Hi @JaneG  and welcome to the forums. I hope you find some comfort on here knowing you are not alone. 

Yes, unfortunately, I do know that feeling well. I’m sorry that you have those thoughts as well. 

Do you have any supports that you can go to to talk about it? Family, friends or any professionals? 

Just know that you are not alone with these thoughts. 

Sending hugs

Captain24

Hi @JaneG,

Welcome to the forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. I just want to recognise that it can take a lot of courage to share your story and feelings. Please know that you are in a safe space with many caring and insightful members with a lot of lived experience.

Thank you for letting us know that you have no plans to self harm. If you do however need support please contact any of the following services for immediate support: 

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat 

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling 

Samaritans: 135 247 

If in immediate danger: 000 

Please note that whilst the forums are a safe place to talk about hard things unfortunately the forums aren’t a counselling or crisis service.  If you do feel like you would like you would like some extra support the SANE Support Centre is available to support you for free from 10am-10pm Monday to Friday. We have counsellors and peer support workers available to support you via phone (1800 18 7263) or webchat.

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feelings. Thank you too @Captain24@Appleblossom@Bow and anyone else the contributes to this post for supporting JaneG and sharing your experiences. 

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather

@JaneG 

Yes I have had those thoughts and responses.

Isn't it weird how memory, feeling and associations can work.

Its like another step in a healthy detachment process, detaching from acting out in a self harming way, and the memory of relief in the past is enough to give relief in a present.  Its a lesson in showing the power of the mind and variations in how cognitions impact us in real life.

Bow
Senior Contributor

Hi @JaneG  welcome to the forums! 

i unfortunately can relate to what you have shared. It’s almost like i fantasies about sh or si and it then calms me down. 

I’ll echo what others have said…. Do you have some professional supports that you can talk to? 

I can really relate to what @Appleblossom has said
I've developed a habit of these thoughts for comfort and dissociating. I know its not "good" or "healthy" but sometimes it's all I have got.

Loz_3647
Senior Contributor

I wish mine were just thoughts...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance