Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Mavrixx9
Contributor

Peer Support worker

Hi

I was wondering if anyone here works as a Peer Support Worker?

I am looking at this course, Cert 4 in Mental Health (Peer Support). Will that be enough though or do I need a Uni Degree in Mental Health? 

If thats the case then I rather do Cert 3 in Assisting in Nursing course at TAFE so I can work in Aged Care to gain some experience.

The whole idea is so I can have future in Health Care and have steady income. Peer Support Work would suit me as I have had serious mental health issues in the past and have made phenomenal recovery. I have been able to work.

Psychologist said to undertake course Part Time, Nursing course is only course available Part Time. What to do...Hmm... 

What are your thoughts? Any advice? Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Peer Support worker

Hello im not sure how to help but perhaps @Former-Member might know abit more about mh working...
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Mavrixx9 @outlanderHeart

Hi, Outlander & welcome @Mavrixx9Woman Happy

I just logged in & saw your tag outlander, thank you. Sounds like you are a very special person @Mavrixx9 , you will be a wonderful, Peer Support Worker, for sure. You certainly sound like a most empathetic, person to come through your own Mental Health Challenges to where you are today, & ready to give/help, others with all that you can, I would give you a hug if I could!

I can only suggest to you, as in the long run its really up to you, you have lived experience, & success, which is wonderful, the best MH workers are the ones that have lived/living it. Some MHS like to train their workers, GFS or NGFS, as I have worked for both, not at the same time.

The GFS sent me to Uni & paid for the training in Psychology, as a Mental Health Reasearch Worker.  Which lead to my postion working for, After Care Services, NGFS & thats where I was offerd to apply for a job as a, Peer Support Worker. 

I would imagine having a Degree in MHN would be a wonderful achievement for you & would help very much in the future as that would enable you to branch out at sometime should you want to, as once you get your foot in the door working as a MHW the sky is the limit, if you know what I mean. I really would have loved to had a degree MH Nursing  if things had been different for me. I am very grateful that at least my dream of helping people after what I went through at that time, that I as able & well enough to do what I did . As it was cut short due to my accident, & the Chronic pain that I now have to live with on a daily basis.

GOOD LUCK!

Love & Hugs!Heart

Bella XO  🙂

Thank you @Former-Member for your thorough advice and thanks @outlander.  

I can empathise about your chronic pain @Former-Member. I have had my own chronic back pain to deal with in the past, took me years to overcome it. I got lucky in that regard, so i am grateful.

Good thing about mental health issues, is that it makes us more resiliant and compassionate once we learn to deal with it. We cant afford to get complacent in our recovery.  

Thanks for replying @Former-Member. It has helped to put my mind to ease.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance