Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jlol
Senior Contributor

How do you know what feelings you feel are legitimate and what feelings are symptoms of the illness?

And who can you believe? Can you trust yourself to know what feelings should be mitigated and which should be heeded?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do you know what feelings you feel are legitimate and what feelings are symptoms of the illness?

It's not much help @Jlol but I really like this question. I think it's super valid. Like I've heard people attribute some feelings/actions to their mental health concern but is that always the case?

Something to really think about.

Hanami

Re: How do you know what feelings you feel are legitimate and what feelings are symptoms of the illness?

I love this question it plays on my mind a lot. I often find myself asking am I allowed to feel this.

At the moment I would say that feelings are feelings. All of them are legitimate because all of them are felt. To deny how I feel really stuffs me up.

I therefore try and ask which feelings do I feed?

What is feeding them currently and are those situations and thoughts where I want to be?

Are they real or imagined?

Are they in persective?

And those questions get me really really confused lately. 

But to get there and work these questions out I have to feel the feelings first. Validate them.

I don't think I'm helping you find clarity here I'm sorry. I struggle though to give myself permission to just feel. 

Great question @Jlol! Unfortunately I don't have a great answer. I'm be curious to know what a psychologist / psychiatrist would say around this question?

@Jlol 

I would say regardless of the feelings origin it is your feeling at the time.

How valid the feeling is depends. You can have a feeling out of symptom that is 100% valid.

Feelings and how valid they are not determined by how it originates. It just so happens that feelings as a result of symptoms should be scrutinised more, but we have dumb feelings free of symptoms too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance