Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Daylight
New Contributor

Being Triggered

Hi,

Apologies. I've been suddenly found myself being really triggered, to the point of not coping. It has been a while since I have felt this way. Been finding that I feel more and more on edge/unstable for a better term - sorry brain is really not thinking correctly for right words.

everything is complicated at the moment and I find that I am just not ok.

This incident just feels as thought it has tipped me over the edge and I am at a loss of what to do.

Sorry

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Being Triggered

Hi @Daylight 

There is no need to apologize - and I am glad you have found this forum and I would like to welcome you.

I hear that you have been triggered - if you feel comfortable telling us what has happened it would help us respond. There is no need unless you feel okay about that.

There are times in life when things get tough - something we all understand here.

Owlunar

Hi Daylight

My name is Hanami and I’m one of the moderators from the Sane forums. Things sound really tough for you right now. It must be so tough as I can read the pain in your post. I hope others here reach out to you to and offer support. This a great community of understanding people who can often relate to what you're going through.

Do you currently see a GP about your mental health concerns? It's often a great place to start as they can also offer referrals to other services.

I just want to add that as Sane is not a crisis service if you do need urgest help to keep you safe please call one of the following:

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat 

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling 

Samaritans: 135 247 

If in immediate danger: 000 

Sending warmest wishes

Hanami

Hi @Daylight,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us.

There is absolutely nothing to apologise for - the SANE community is here to support each other in the good times and the bad. Many years ago I was triggered to the point where I felt like I was in free fall and couldn't cope so I can relate somewhat to what you are saying.

Is there someone you can be with today to talk about how you are feeling such as a trusted friend, GP, etc.?

If you would like to talk to someone you might want to consider the SANE Support Centre. It is available to support anyone from 10am-10pm Monday to Friday. We have counsellors and peer support workers available to support you via phone (1800 187 263) or webchat. We also have the SANE Guided services which is our new guided service that provides free digital and telehealth services and ongoing tailored support to people over 18 years of age with complex mental health needs and their families and carers SANE Guided Service. Both are free of charge.

Sometimes just talking to someone that is understanding and non-judgemental can really help and of course the SANE forum community is here for anyone 24/7.

Please take care and reach out for support if you need to.

Warm regards,

FloatingFeather

PS. just a couple of tips to help you get started on the Forums:

Tip 1 - if you want to directly chat with someone on the Forums use the @ symbol and then start typing their name directly after it. A dropdown box should appear, and you then select their name. This ensures that they are notified of any posts you mention them in.

Tip 2 – the most recent posts are the latest page numbers.

Hi @Owlunar

Thanks, sorry, probably would help hey.

Bit of back story, I have bipolar and complex trauma. As per normal, taken a long time to get bipolar under control, but got there. Trauma, no one seemed capable of dealing with it and mainly dealt with it on my own. To the point I work daily with high risk issues for others and normally don't have issues with my own past.

I am in my second trimester of pregnancy and aware the role this can play on my bipolar, but don't feel that this is the issue - unless I am missing all the cues.

Quite simply, I am sitting in some training for work (thankfully all online from home). A case discussion occurred and for some reason sent me back to my experiences. It then set a whole cascade off in my head about some issues cropping up in the last few weeks (things going on for those I work with). All mixed with my stuff.

I feel like I have gone into a half dissociative state, half here/ half not. This is taking forever for me to write as I keep loosing everything.

It's been ages since intrusive thoughts etc and

I really don't know. I simply want it to stop. Tried all my techniques, the ones I preach to others lol. nothing.

thanks @hanami, I don't think need crisis. I no longer see people regularly, since bipolar has been managed. to hard to juggle with work.

thanks @FloatingFeather, I guess the above answer is applicable to you also. I am not great on a phone.

I hear you @Daylight 

It's actually easier to deal with other people's issues than our own - I read that you have been traumatised in the past and only dealt with it on your own - and that really doesn't work.

I can direct you to the Blue Knot Foundation for survivors of childhood trauma - I recently started talking to them about my past problems with my mother and I find the service really helpful - their phone number is 1300 657 380. They are available most of the time I am sure - if not 24/7

We are more vulnerable and sensitive when we are pregnant - so that is perfectly normal though unpleasant - all the more reason to seek help - and you have been triggered through some on-line training you are doing. I understand - you want it to stop. Of course, you do - it's important you reach out for help if you don't feel safe - or if things seem to be out of control.

Someone else has given you appropriate phone numbers too - so please reach out - we are not able to help in a crisis - but we are here to listen and support you.

Thanks for trusting us with your information.

Owlunar

@FloatingFeather @hanami 

@Daylight 

It sounds like you have been doing really well lately and with a baby on the way. Hormones don’t help. I have cPTSD and have noticed it smacks me in the head occasionally. Other things might pop up, or you might get a bit triggered but not cPTSD, sometimes it even does a body slam. It can be an absolute jerk.

It sounds like you have significant insight into what is happening, I keep looking for the insight in the pain. Blue knot are good but I call them with specific questions and they get the complex nature of trauma.

Have you though about taking a self compassion day, do all the things you enjoy, take a mental health day and try to rebalance. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance