Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Boo13
Community Guide

Another year over

Another year over and we are alive, breathing and generally well.  Doesn't sound like much, but for many this is a big achievement!

my son has had a pretty good 2018 in comparison to 2017.  He is achieving good school results, got his drivers licence, and had only one hospitalisation.  Overall a pretty good effort....until today.  He lost it in a shopping centre.  He was so angry with me, he grabbed my arms tightly and pushed me up against a shop window.  A passer by told him to stop and he then threatened her.  This was all over the fact that I had said no to buying take away food for lunch and had said so before we left the house.  He scares me at times and is only aggressive towards me, never his father.  He is nearly twice my weight and has no hesitation yelling at my face.  I love him and know he is ill.  He has been undertaking anger management as part of his therapy and has been told by his treating team that violence is not ok at anytime, but so,etimes I wonder how far he will go?  I worry about him and his future.  He is intelligent, but lacks control.  I know schizophrenics are more likely to be the victims of violence, but wonder if my son is the exception?

anyway to all of the wonderful carers, Happy New Year.  Wishing you all a better year than the last one, whatever that may mean to you!

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Another year over

Happy New Year to you too @Boo13  

@greenpea  

@Former-Member Happy New Year to you too Darcy 😄 xx

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Libra @greenpea might be able to help you in relation to how they manage things

@Boo13

@Boo13 Hi Boo13 and thanks for tagging me @Former-Member :). When my son2 was at his most violent he was in his teens and his psychiatrist said it would stay that way until he hit the ripe old age of 21 (and he was right!). It is hard when you are the victim of your child's anger. I remember the worst event for me was when my son2 put a sharp object to my forehead and then lashed out at his sister.

Is your son on medication? The meds have really helped my son2 immensely. Also he must be accountable for his actions or he will know no boundaries. When my son was at his worst he was taken to hospital by the ambos and the police. This went on for years .... it was all exhausting, brought on my own mental illness (schizoaffective disorder) and broke up my marriage .... oh and sent my eldest child screaming overseas and brought my daughter into a state of depression for which she is still recovering.

When my son2 does get into moods I have immediate flashbacks and go into 'fight or flight' mode (am currently getting therapy for it).

Okay what we found effective is as I have stated above getting son into hospital (even if it is overnight just to defuse the situation) it worked really well for us.  Son2 had a brilliant psychiatrist for 10 years who used to visit the house for free to see him..... yeah he was a wonderful man. Son2's current psychiatrist is very nice as well so getting a super psychiatrist is so important, I just cannot stress that enough.

Be encouraged that with the right medications and therapy this stage 'probably' wont last forever. In fact my son2 is very protective over me now.

Good luck and wishing you a wonderful New Year with all your dreams coming true. greenpea xxx:)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance