Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Mumsy21
Casual Contributor

eating disorder and diabetes

My daughter has had an eating disorder for 17 years ( was 13 now 30 years old). She lives with me. She developed diabetes 5 years ago.

So we are at odds with eating properly to stop hypos!!!

I have rung 000 3 times with her being unconscious. She has collapsed on numerous occasions where I have got her back from low levels. Everyday around 6pm her levels get really low and she resists me to eat something to stop a hypo!!!

I have anxiety each day at this time. She resists me and gets angry and says I know nothing about diabetes and this is "normal  life' for a diabetic.

I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be welcomed.

I have battled this for so long ( On my own, as I am divorced) and because she is 30 I can get any help because she refuses.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: eating disorder and diabetes

Dear @Mumsy21 ,

Thank you for connecting with us. I'm sure we have members who can share their experiences with you. You are not alone.

Tagging a few members @Bow @BlueBay and others passing through.

tyme

Hi @Mumsy21 welcome to the forums. 

in all honesty I’m not sure how helpful what I share will be. I have atypical anorexia, but don’t have diabetes. But I have had many times where my blood sugar has been extremely low when restricting- all times when I have been in hospital and nurses and doctors have tried to convince me to eat and drink. It’s a real battle, so I can really relate to where your daughter is. 

When I have been in that place, I’ve always been rather unwell, those hypos make you feel really unwell and it can be really hard to reason and to listen to the doctors and nurses and do what I need. I usually end up needing IV glucose to come back to a state of being able to reason with them again. 

will your daughter drink juices? That’s always a good start. That’s what they try and force me to have. 

im really sorry that your navigating this journey alone, it’s not easy. Have you made contact with the butterfly foundation? Does your daughter have a dietitian? 

im not sure what else I can add, I’m really sorry. 

Hi @Mumsy21 

You are welcome to have a look through The Butterfly Room- ED support 

Thank you @Bow for sharing your experiences. 

tyme

thank you for replying to me. I really appreciate your answer.

when she is in this low she is the same as you where she can't think straight or rationally. She refuses juice or lollies.

A glucose drip is what the ambos give her.  I have got her to go to a diabetes educator twice but she needs to keep going.

I have been with her on this journey for 17 years and will not give up on her, but some days.......

thanks again and good luck on your journey, I wish you well.

@Mumsy21 It is a really hard position for you, as you love her.  

I had a good older friend with diabetes and we went away on holidays together.  I had to help with meds and charting etc.  Her daughter was worried about hypos, but I never saw one.  As 2 older women we were usually on top of food and she ate regularly throughout the day, everything was low key and pleasant. No dramas.  

I have a different type of disability, but with any type of illness or disability, our attitude and adoption of relevant healthful behaviours can make a huge difference to the quality of life.  There is an org that may be helpful.

https://insideoutinstitute.org.au/e-learning#gsc.tab=0 

I also live with an adult child with a disability.  It is hard, but encourage her to view you as an adult person with needs as well.  Keep caring for yourself.  I put my life on hold for my son, but am gradually getting out again.  He is glad for it.  The maturation process can be long and slow.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes it's very hard to know the balance between enabling and doing the right thing by her.

I'm trying to look after myself ☺️

So hard @Mumsy21 I really feel for you. I had gestational diabetes and it became quite overwhelming to manage the rigid food schedule. At the time I remember thinking gosh I'm so miserable, I wonder if people with GD develop ED, and I googled it! It must be so hard to be battling that mental health condition and then be so conscious of the hypos. I'm wondering if NDSS have been able to offer any support or ideas? Must be really frightening for you. Has your daughter ever had an admission for the ED? 

As for yourself, I hope you get some support from a psychologist. Being a carer to an adult child must be so challenging. Are you linked in with carer gateway? They may be able to offer support in some way. 

I put this together a while back. There might be some useful links in there.

I just wanted to offer some support and I wish you and your daughter all the best. 

Take care 🦋

Hello @Mumsy21 , thinking of you and your daughter lots today xx 

I have diabetes and CKD 

And remember to look after yourself too my friend 

A good thread to click on to is Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope ) xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance