Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Going off alcohol

I have schizoaffective disorder and depression. I have had organic psychotic illness since age 19years. My pdoc has told me my brain is vulnerable. They said that I have to stop alcohol. They said it risks my mental health and I could develop dementia if I keep drinking. I know I can do it but am wondering about strategies to stay off it. Have others done this?
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Going off alcohol

Hi @Former-Member

My hubby went to AA and found it very successful. It's been 39 years since he's had any alcohol. It might be worth considering phoning Alcoholics Anonymous and have a chat with them.

Getting off the booze certainly has helped his schizophrenia.

Goid Luck. Do let us know how you go. 🎶
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks Kurra. That's a great idea.

AA and GROW helped me with going off alcohol.

the last time i came out of the psychiatric hospital i gave up alcohol (and drugs), and went instead to AA and also GROW.  i persisted going because i wanted to stay sober, and it has worked for me. i still have to deal with my mental problems but i feel much better without the alcohol. lt was not the fear of dementia that motivated me , but the lonliness and feelings of isolation.  being with other similar people helped me be happy about not drinking (or smoking). and now it has been years and my life has changed for the better.  but i had to want it to change.  keep going to the meetings is what worked for me. (along with my doctor and priest and psychologist)

I'm so pleased to hear your good news @pan. Going to the meetings regularly really does help.
All the best 🎶💕
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks pan. I will call AA or visit a meeting. I don't think grow is my style though. Everyone is different. I was touched that at dinner tonight nooone else in my family had a alcoholic drink. They usually would have. Made it easier for me.
Former-Member
Not applicable

hello @Former-Member
you are very strong in giving up alcohol.
It is a very difficult thing to do, there are so many triggers and events. This time of year in particular and other people unknowingly want you to join them to celebrate and have a drink of alcohol. Be strong, stick to your conviction, live by your values you haven't just given up alcohol "you don't drink alcohol". Wonderful how supportive and particularly respectful your family are. I'm sure that you have let them know. all the best you can do this. big hug.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Former-Member. I have a welcome dinner at a conference tonight. That's a really good phrase "I don't drink alcohol ". I will choose water tonight and use that phrase 🙂
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your support. I got through my event functions without any drinks. I just said "I don't drink alcohol ". It was not so difficult and seeing others drunk affirmed to me I made the right decision

It's a huge battle for me. I know I should give it up but I ' want' to want to give it up as I know for me that would make the process easier. I was "healed/delivered" from alcoholism (not that I realized I was an addict) years back but for some stupid reason thought I was ok and could moderate my drinking and now....it has control over me once again....another thing which harrases my thoughts and adds to my self-loathing!
Hope you do well in your goal!!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance