Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: All Things Sport...

Hi @Zoe7 @Emelia8 @MDT @DJMasters @WIP and all sports lovers here.

Yes, @Zoe7 it has been a great day with the Brisbane Lionesses winning their first premiership against the Adelaide Crows by 18 points. What a game despite me only seeing the last 2 minutes of it and following the scores online. So proud of the girls! The boys VFL team defeated the Bombers in Moreton Bay as well today so let's hope we can get 3 wins out of 3 today and beat the Bombers tonight in the AFL! 

Talk later!

Judi9877

The reserves smashed Essendon @Judi9877 and apparently Matho had a great game - might be due for a call up to the seniors again soon if he continues that form.

My Swansea are running 3rd these days
Hoping to win the 3rd spot to get to playoffs and make it back into the premier league
Time will tell

Haven't been following much other sports lately. Lol my bad

My S1 managed to get himself discharged from hospital today so he could go away for the weekend and use his tickets for the NRL Magic round!!!

He has no sense and I have no compassion!!

Oh dear @Eve7 What can I say Smiley Sad I hope this is a positive weekend for your son and there is no further setbacks - but you must be so concerned. Hugs and hugs Hon Heart

Hi all sports fans. A maybe contraversial question here - what do you all think about the recent private flight for some of the cricketers from India in light of the thousands of Australian citizens still being stuck there and not afforded the same service?

I have found the behaviour and expectations of some of the cricketers to be elitist and entitled. They made the choice (for money) to travel to India in spite of the global pandemic - not representing their country but for personal monetary gain - so why is it that they are allowed to fly to a beautiful island to quarantine before returning to Australia when so many of our citizens are still stuck in India without any way out and/or those that have managed to get on a flight are quarantined in remote Australia. Seems to me there is one rule for those with money again whilst those most in need are left behind ...the blatant inrqualities here make me quite angry Smiley Sad

@MDT Swansea a really good chance to be elevated to the Premier league 👍

Hi @Zoe7 

I personally don't agree with the cricketers coming home from India and thousands of Aussies being left over there to potentially be at risk of COVID-19. I think they should be treated just like everyone else and wait their turn to get a flight back to Australia.

I also don't agree with the Olympics going ahead because the athletes could still get COVID-19 despite being vaccinated against the disease. There is more important things in the world that is going on than just sport and there will always be another chance for people to compete. Yes, they will be older but this pandemic is something that isn't going to go away anytime soon and needs to be dealt with. I know some people think that sport is a job - not me- and that the athletes need to get paid but at what cost? Their lives? The athletes just happen to be able to do something good that others can't do which is participate at sport at a high level. They are no different to a doctor or a cleaner who happen to be great at their jobs as well who are more deserving right now than athletes in my opinion. Sport to me is recreation and not a job and I can't understand why athletes get paid so much compared to other more deserving people in other jobs like mental health and aged care for example.

That's my views on the topic. I look forward to seeing what others views are.

Judi9877

I totally agree on all points @Judi9877  - particularly the amount sports people get paid is ridiculous. If we put the amount of money into housing the homeless or providing medical/mental health services then we would be much better off as a society. We also need to pay our frontline workers more - especially in this pandemic - the supermarket workers, cleaners, nurses, doctors, etc. have kept us going whilst potentially exposing themselves. Sport in itself is a major cultural aspect to our society but it is just that - a sport - and at the end of the day it does not change our individual lives - we love our sport and enjoy seeing our teams/athletes doing well but those achievements are not for the collective good of all. 

I also agree the Olympics should not be going ahead. It would be sad for those that have worked their whole lives to get to the Olympics but again that money spent to get them there should be used in other areas presently - we have businesses folding, people without jobs and homes and struggling to feed themselves and their families. When will we as a society put those first that need it the most ...and when will some of those that whinge about the amount of funding they get (to achieve a personal goal) realise that there is such massive inequalities in what they do and what the vast majority of our society need. By all means these athletes should strive for what they can achieve but do so with the same resources that each and every person also has at their disposal.

Hoping so aye @Zoe7
They managed to concede a goal against Barnsley. Didn't look composed for the last 20mins. Its a worry but that's the only worry i think. They've fostered their talent and Cooper is going well as manager.

We drew with Brentford throughout the season so that's a promising sign

Either way next weekend will be a good match. 10 years ago Swansea won the play off to get promoted so here's hoping !
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance