Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

What do you do with your support workers?

Hi all,

I’m pretty close to getting in trouble with my support coordinator because I haven’t used much support worker hours. I have a support worker who’s training to be an occupational therapist who comes to see me and she helps me to cook and clean and takes me out for walks and is generally a little ray of sunshine whenever she comes. I don’t want to waste her time or mine, and I’d like to do activities with her that will prepare her for her time as an OT, rather than use her for her transport capabilities solely. What do you do with your support workers that’s meaningful to you? Running out of ideas fast…

PS. Yes I know I’m lucky to have this problem!!!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What do you do with your support workers?

@Gwynn 

I don't have a support worker but I am thinking of along the lines of what your needs are and he/she supports you with this. And also your specific goals. Your care and support is about you and improving your quality of life. I am sure you are helping her too because she is getting experience- she is learning to communicate and problem solve and to get along with others. The main role of an OT is to meet your needs and your specific goals. Hope this helps a little

Re: What do you do with your support workers?

@Gwynn You could focus on what you most need in order if priority and see if she's equipped to assist. From an OT perspective, she could help you develop positive habits, routines & carrying out your roles if that's relevant for your circumstances (eg. Volunteer/worker, family member, gardener). She could also help identify barriers and develop skills that enable you regarding roles, routines & occupations so that you can do what you need & want to do (eg. 'meaningful occupations' including new leisure activities and everyday tasks you might find challenging). You can Google "mental health O.T" to get more ideas of the sorts of things that might assist both of you. It's really about your goals and/or getting her assistance in identifying them and an action plan that enables you to function as independently as possible. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance