Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Weighted Blankets

Does anyone use or have used, a weighted blanket?
I'd love to hear your feedback on them.
Where did you get it? Would you recommend that company? Is it necessary to get a double blanket (I'm a big gal) or is a single blanket okay?
What weight is your blanket?
Thanks in advance.
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Weighted Blankets

@Phoenix_Rising please see above post

I would love one of these but I read somewhere where some one posted that to get a good one it was going to cost him/her over $800.00! Out of my price range unless covered by helath insurance maybe ... 

interested in this also. my therapist has recommended one but they seem expensive

Hi @utopia @greenpea @-Rayne-

I super like my weighted blanket. I got mine from here: https://www.calmingmoments.com.au/shop/Weighted-Blankets/Weighted-Blankets-for-Beds

I got a double-sized one. They say you should get a weight that is 10% of your body weight, which I did. However, if I was to do it again, I would get a much heavier one. When you think about it, if the same weight is spread over a double-sized blanket as over a single-sized blanket, then the actual weight over your body is halved with the double-sized one. Sometimes when I am super distressed I will fold my blanket in half so that I get that heavier sensation. I also sometimes spread it out on the loungeroom floor and roll up in it like a caterpillar in a cocoon.

I find the sensation of that deep pressure super calming. Before I ever heard of weighted blankets, I used to go through phases of sleeping in a sleeping bag. I recognise now that I was seeking that same sensation without knowing what I was doing. You probably also don't have to think too hard to see why being a sea turtle who can snuggle into her shell at any time works well for me. Smiley Happy

Thanks for that Phoenix_Rising this reminds me of a world renown Autistic academic who works with cattle. She created a special device which gently puts pressure around the cattle. Like squeezing them every so gently and the cattle find it soothing. Her name is Temple Grandin. 

I am imagining you wrapped up on the floor like a caterpiller in a cocoon lol.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Phoenix_Rising might look into them too

@greenpea, yep, Temple Grandin very much contributed to the understanding of deep pressure touch stimulation. I only discovered weighted blankets after I got the ASD diagnosis and started exploring ASD-focused websites. From what I can tell, weighted blankets (and weighted toys etc.) have been popular in the autistic community for quite a while, whereas the mental health community seem to only just now be catching onto the idea. If I go into crisis in a public place, I tend to seek out that same deep pressure sensation by crawling under desks and things like that.

That is interesting I didn't know you your on the spectrum. My son is on the spectrum as well. The autistic community is wonderful it really supports each other until at least the child reaches early adulthood.

There is a wealth of knowledge out there for those in need of advice. Better for the children not so much for young adults etc. but it is slowly getting there ever so slowly.

I've been thinking of getting a weighted blanket also, so thanks for the information @Phoenix_Rising. I've often taken to sleeping with a pile of blankets on top of me (I feel comforted by the pressure), but with hot and humid summers here, it makes my blanket pile impractical. 

Maybe I can request one for my birthday next year from the Mrs?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance