Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Spring1983
Contributor

New member with long bipolar disorder history

Hi! Spring1983 here.

I'm here because I'm interested in living well with bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed with Bipolar1 at 21 after a 5 year roller coaster of mental health issues that started in the Spring of 1983. Over my lifetime I've had periods of staying well for many years interspersed with intense bouts of depression, mania, psychosis and further hospital stays.

Alongside my mental health challenges I've led a varied and rewarding life. I've cobbled together a career in an interesting field and I enjoy the domestic arts and being outdoors in my free time. I'm in a long term relationship with a swell guy. There's a lot of laughter at our place.

My big challenge is and always has been the dreaded manic episode. If a genie came out of a bottle my first wish would be -no more manic episodes please! Until then I'll be following doctors' orders, sticking to my routine, and keeping my lifestyle choices in check. Some days that's harder than others, of course.

I'm grateful to have found the forums. It's comforting having a place to reach out when the going gets tough and to be able lend support to along the way.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New member with long bipolar disorder history

Hello @Spring1983 and welcome. Thanks for posting. I'm bipolar, similar timeframe, different journey. My diagnosis was revised or reinterpreted a couple of times along the way. 

There are lots of threads to dip into or participate in but an important one when things are tougher than usual is Let`s talk about Bipolar . I'll look forward to seeing you.

Best wishes

Dimity

Thanks for @Dimity your warm welcome & the tip re the threads. I look forward to seeing you, too.

Spring1983

@Spring1983 

Im diagnosed BP2 w/psychotic features. I dont get the manic and with all the meds im on  I rarely get hypomanic and if I do its typically not  as bad as it used to be. I hate the hypomanic because I tend to spend and I definately dont have the money to spend. I live with my parents and sister now and that kinda keeps it subdued. 

For me the killer is the hallucinations, I get audible, visual and tactile. Lately Ive had the added bonus of delusions, makes me think BP2 isnt the right diagnosis.

But I do get the sticking to your routine. Life events with my sister knocked me off that and I went down hill. I restarted my routines today and feel so much better, like a weights been lifted.

I am a huge fan of routines, bugs the hell out of the family but if it keeps you from a hospitalisation even if it prolongs time between them, its so worthwhile

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance