Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Feeling like I may need more assistance.

So the general pattern with me is I struggle every day but have found ways to live without becoming too much a burden on my friends and family. Then towards the period leading up to my next injection, I start to get very paranoid and formulate reasons why I should stop taking my medication and not go to my appointment I avoid everything and cancel all my plans. This ultimately results in me having a breakdown and my family having to come and take me to an appointment to get my overdue injection. I feel as if I am in between a rock and a hard place. I am schizophrenic and am pretty much the most unreliable person to make sure I keep up with my medications and appointments. I think I need to have a serious talk with my doctors and family to get them to understand what the situation with me is. And if they are unwilling to assist me, get some professionals involved who can. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Feeling like I may need more assistance.

I am just a little bit confused as to how you are expecting them to help you. 

From reading your post, it makes it sound like you are talking about missing your injections. You certainly should not really be expecting your doctors to make sure you come in. That's a matter of your own personal responsibility. There are some things they can do, like sending you reminders, but it sounds like you know when your injections are, you just don't want to come in. It is completely understandable to be uncomfortable with your injections, given your condition, but as I said, it's not the responsibility of your doctors. Maybe you could ask your family to keep you accountable in that regard, I guess, but not in a super involved way.

That said, having read the post a second time, I realise you could mean getting assistance for your schizophrenia. Perhaps you feel like your condition has gotten the better of you, and that's the root cause of your discomfort with the injections. In that case, you're right. Talk to your doctors about your concerns, and have a two-way conversation with your family about what they can do to help you. If you're not getting the support you need from your professionals, then yeah, at some point you need to change professionals. I am not going to tell you whether you should but that's exactly right.

Sorry, I didn't know which context you were talking about, so I thought I'd address both.

All the best.

Hey @Former-Member, it sounds like a great idea to ask for a bit more help with making sure you can keep on top of your medications and appointments. Heart

I feel like I understand where you're coming from by wanting to do as much as you can on your own so as not to rely too much on others. I've been seeing articles about ultra-independence lately and I wonder if any of it resonates with you too?

I've recently tried asking for help in a few small ways that have ended up helping me greatly with my overall mental health, and have come to see the benefit of more interdependence in my life rather than trying to manage more or less everything by myself.

All the best for having these conversations, and I hope you'll receive all the support you need in return 💐

So I had my appointment with my psychiatrist today, we've worked out some ways to manage my illness when I start to get paranoid. My father and stepmother, and housemate are now aware of the severity of my condition and are willing to help out as far as making sure I go to my appointments. 

Hi @Former-Member I think you were insightful and proactive in the situation. It's not easy asking for help but I think you will really benefit from the strategies you worked out with your psychiatrist, and a bit of support from those close to you. Well done for taking action. Take care.

This is great @Former-Member, I'm happy to hear this for you! Amazing job 👏🏼

You sound  a bit down on yourself.  For example you are not schizophrenic, you are a person who has episodes that look like a condition named....   You do seem to be catching your thoughts and developing hard one insight into how that condition affects you, your life, and others.  And, you are taking positive action to manage your life.  Am glad you put this notice up and also did talk to your professionals.  That is a sign of managing and leading by example. It is hard. Thank you for sharing. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance